Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting ipt to stp for 3D printer

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
PaulBarrington
4597 Views, 3 Replies

converting ipt to stp for 3D printer

ipt files of 3D models in Inventor Professional 2020 saved as STP for a 3D printer when produced are scaled down. How do I get a 1 to 1, 3D printed model from my ipt file. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mikejones
in reply to: PaulBarrington

Are you exporting files as STP or actually as STL?  My suspicion would be with the slicing software that you're using is applying incorrect units when importing the model. What slicing software are you using?

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: PaulBarrington

@PaulBarrington wrote:

ipt files of 3D models in Inventor Professional 2020 saved as STP for a 3D printer when produced are scaled down. How do I get a 1 to 1, 3D printed model from my ipt file. 

Assuming you meant STL file then you simply select the "Options" button before pressing the save button (options is just to the left of the save button during export/save copy as) and select the units that your printer is expecting (often mm).  

If after selecting the correct units during export your model is still not to the proper scale then you modeled it incorrectly. (you may have modeled in cm units and thought you were modeling in mm or something like that)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 4

Hi! You need to select the correct unit in the option. Go to Save Copy As -> STL -> Options -> select the unit the printer uses (mm).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report