Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert .dwg to .stp

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
dkm2112
3050 Views, 22 Replies

Convert .dwg to .stp

I am running Inventor 2020 and True View 2021.  I have read through many threads and have been unable to convert the attached 3D .dwg to a .stp file.  It's either grayed out export options or processing errors like others have seen and I have followed multiple steps and options.   I would appreciate any help with the process.  

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: dkm2112

Quick googling over on the civil forums shows that you should be able to take a Civil 3d surface and

You can use the command FACETRES to increase the number of triangles (resolution) in the SLT output..

Then...

If you have Civil 3D 2015 and the productivity pack installed you can

1) create a Civil 3D surface from your existing 3D-Polylines

2) run the productivity pack command EXPORTSURFACETOSOLID to create a solid from the surface
3) run command STLOUT to generate the STL file from the surface.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 22 of 23
JDMather
in reply to: dkm2112

OK, now I understand all of the issues, but it will be tomorrow till I can create a video on the solution,

1. STEP (*.stp) was always a distractor in this discussion.  STEP not needed.

2. ACIS (*.sat) was always a distractor in this discussion.  STEP not needed.

3. Inventor not needed - this can be fixed in AutoCAD.

4. Facetres only effects curve conversions to planes - you have no curves to convert.

5. The original document units are shown as foot (-dwgunits), you cannot print a 240ft tile, so scale is needed (either explicitly or by substituting other units, for example 240mm instead of 240ft.

6. And this is the important issue - your geometry is a longggggggggggggggggggg way from the origin.

Move it to the origin and Align with XY coordinates and your wavy side issue will no longer be an issue.  (Didn't you notice that I did not have this issue with my original attachment days ago?)

(See Attached file. )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 23 of 23
dkm2112
in reply to: JDMather

Problem solved.  The issue was certainly tied to origin and rotation.  Once I moved the file to 0,0 and rotated to align with X,Y the jagged edges are straight. 

"Move it to the origin and Align with XY coordinates"

Thanks for all of your help!

Kent

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report