Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact sets not working properly

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
justinbienert
375 Views, 7 Replies

Contact sets not working properly

I'm following the "3D Design For Mechanical Engineering Using Inventor" tutorial. I'm in Module 8, Unit 2, "Create a Contact Set." 

The issue I am having is that the cam won't turn the plate like in the video. The plate can move the cam as intended, but when I go to turn the cam it contacts the plate and stops until the cam is turned far enough that it skips to the other side of the lug that it is supposed to be moving. 

I have tried checking and suppressing other constraints associated with the parts, I have Contact Solver on. I don't know what else it could be. I have the .iam file attached. 

TIA

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Right click on the project folder.

Select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here (that includes the parts).

Message 3 of 8

Try with this setting on:

Galaxybane_0-1685549598915.png

EDIT:
"Enable relationship redundancy analysis:
Specifies if Inventor analyzes all assembly components for adaptivity adjustments. Default setting is not selected.

Not selected:
When the check box is cleared, Inventor skips a secondary analysis which normally checks for redundant relationships and analyzes all component degrees of freedom. The system only updates degree of freedom analysis when the symbols are displayed.

Selected:
When the check box is selected, Inventor performs a secondary analysis, and notifies you when redundant relationships exist. Degrees of freedom are updated, even when they are not displayed."

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-230944FF-CBE8-4F33-8E5F-13CD50CCA8DD

Message 4 of 8

Let me know if this works.

Message 5 of 8

Thanks, but this didn't solve the issue. For my knowledge, what does this setting usually affect?
Message 6 of 8
swalton
in reply to: justinbienert

I haven't looked at your files.

Are you using the mouse to drag the cam? 

Sometimes Inventor has a hard time calculating the assembly shape fast enough to keep up with the user's mouse movements.  

Try smaller and/or slower mouse movements to see if Inventor can keep up.  You might also consider using the Drive Constraint command to rotate the cam and let Inventor calculate the result at each time step.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 7 of 8
justinbienert
in reply to: swalton

I have the same issue whether I drive the part or drag it with the mouse. 

Message 8 of 8

Hi Justin,

Many thanks for sharing the files with me! I have downloaded it. Please unshare it now. I took a quick look at the assembly. Indeed, the Contact Solve seems to lock up. To have a successful solve, It is better to clear out any preexisting interference between components. When such interference exists, Contact Solve will be in a failed state. Also, Contact Solve does not work with complex spline geometry well. Like the gear teeth, depending on the teeth faces, Contact Solve may have trouble solving it correctly. Please clear out the interference first and see if it works better.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report