Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint motion on curve shape

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
lkirit2000
1898 Views, 19 Replies

Constraint motion on curve shape

Hi

Please see the attached image, as indicated in the red arrow the part is moved in a curve path vertical up (along the slot ). Pin is inside the slot. By using the constraint drive option is it possible to animate the part in a curved motion ?

Thanks

Labels (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
jrobrador19
in reply to: lkirit2000

Hi there.

Have you seen this post?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/constrain-pin-in-curved-slot/td-p/8046616

I hope this helps.

Please hit the ACCEPT SOLUTION or LIKE button if my post helped you to solve your problem.

Jerous Obrador 

Mechanical Engineer| LinkedIn | Autodesk Certified InstructorRevit Architecture Certified ProfessionalRevit MEP: Mechanical Certified ProfessionalRevit MEP: Electrical Certified ProfessionalInventor Certified Professional | Laguna, Philippines

Win 10 Pro / Dell G7 7590 / i7-9750H / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 

Message 3 of 20
arron.craig

If you want to animate the top straight section of the slot too then I think the quickest/easiest way would be to just enable a contact set and drive a linear constraint (mate or flush)

NqWTBoYNaj.gif

Message 4 of 20
lkirit2000
in reply to: jrobrador19

Hi Jerous,

Thanks for your response.

I have seen that is  a circular ( arc ) motion. I have indicated 3 different motions in different directions. How to make this type motion ?

Thanks 

Message 5 of 20
jrobrador19

Hi again,

As @arron.craig  said, contact sets are one way to do it which was also discussed on the forum link I gave you. Since it is an arc path, an angular constrain might be applied. But if you read through, (message 9 of 12) you can see a post wherein he is explaining how you can use drive on a path. This is the link he posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjkgEqTpeSk

I hope this helps.

Please hit the ACCEPT SOLUTION or LIKE button if my post helped you to solve your problem.

Jerous Obrador 

Mechanical Engineer| LinkedIn | Autodesk Certified InstructorRevit Architecture Certified ProfessionalRevit MEP: Mechanical Certified ProfessionalRevit MEP: Electrical Certified ProfessionalInventor Certified Professional | Laguna, Philippines

Message 6 of 20
lkirit2000
in reply to: jrobrador19

Hi 

how to make a drive in contact set ?

Other constrains have a options when right click ?

but contact set doesn't have ?

Thanks 

Message 7 of 20
jrobrador19

Hi again.

For contact sets, you really don't have a path you can set. You only have to simulate the real world movement of the object and let the contact solver do its thing. 

For this example I have 2 parts here wherein I created planes. In these planes, I placed a constrain to simulate movements in the X and Y plane. Then in this constrain, I performed my drive. 

jerousrayobrador_0-1604305281906.png

Here is a video of doing the drive. 

https://autode.sk/3oNNtAp

I hope this helps.

Jerous Obrador 

Message 8 of 20
JDMather

Sliding Cylinder on Curve Joint

or

2D Contact Joint.

Environments>Dynamic Simulation 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! This can be done in Inventor in a few ways. But, you need to ensure the geometry be correct first. The pin needs to slide along the slot. You need to use Solid Sweep to create the cut (2020 and later). Otherwise, you will run into collision or abrupt movement easily no matter how you constrain it. By creating the precise geometry, the simulation and animation will be much easier. Please share your attempt here. Forum experts can help take a look and provide further guidance.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 20
melrosecad
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Dynamic Simulation if you need to see real world results otherwise drive it's location with some hidden geometry that you can drive with parameters.

Message 11 of 20
lkirit2000
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDMather,

I don't how to apply 

or

2D Contact Joint.

Thanks

Message 12 of 20
lkirit2000

Hi Johnsonshiu,

Thanks for your response.

In my case pin in fixed the part with the slot is going to move.

Is it possible to do that ?

Thanks

Message 13 of 20
lkirit2000

Hi 

Please see the attached piles.

Thanks 

Message 14 of 20
JDMather

@lkirit2000 wrote:

Hi JDMather,

I don't how to apply 

or

2D Contact Joint.

Your sketches are not fully defined, so first we will have to back up to the basics of sketching before we move to Dynamic Simulation.  I will not have time till tomorrow to explain basic 2D sketching techniques.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 15 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! Here you go! The slot is created by a solid sweep on 2021. Just open the assembly and turn on Contact Solver (Inspect -> Contact Solver). Then you can drag the plate around without any interference.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 20
lkirit2000

Hi Johnson,

Appreciate your prompt response.

That works amazing. While I move the  plate the frequently rotating. 

Is there any way to control the movement 30 both sides to vertical ?

Rgds

Message 17 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe you can add an angular constraint or a flush constraint to ensure the plate moves linearly.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

Hi Johnson,

I am facing the similar issue, is there any other way move the cylindrical part(peg)  in the curve path without using the contact set, as I am not able to animate the contact set effect during the animation. I am using Inventor 2020.

Kindly help me out, kindly find the attach part files.

Thanks in advance.

Message 19 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Kindly help me out, kindly find the attach part files.

No files Attached?

Message 20 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry!, missed to attach those. Actually I add some constraints and it works some how, but need some little example, how to achieve that movement in Dynamic simulation.  Attach parts (I created them just for learning the process).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report