Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component replacement using iAssembly?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
397 Views, 3 Replies

Component replacement using iAssembly?

Hello all,

I was wondering if iAssemblies (maybe in combination with iLogic) offer the ability to dynamically replace components, being linked to members? I have an iAssembly of a roofing system containing multiple members, that could all have different sub-iAssemblies for roof covering, using different members. It would look as follows:

Main assembly member Sub iAssembly Sub iAssembly member

Front-Left-sideRooftiles.iamFront-Left-side
Front-Mid-SideRooftiles.iamFront-Mid-Side
Front-Right-SideRooftiles.iamFront-Right-Side
Back-Left-SideSolarpanels.iamBack-Left-Side
Back-Mid-SideSolarpanels.iamBack-Mid-Side
Back-Right-SideSolarpanels.iamBack-Right-Side

I've been searching the web for an hour but couldn't find any suitable solutions. Any help would be much appreciated! (I don't shy away for some coding.)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
S_May
in reply to: Anonymous

... please attach pictures + sketches and models + drawings (pack models by pack and go + ZIP), create patterns for sensitive data.

Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! The workflow you are looking for is not supported. Within an iAssembly, you can use "table-replace" to switch from one iPart member or one iAssembly member to another. But, you cannot swap out any regular part or subassembly.

iPart/iAssembly is supposed to create library components. Those components have similar shape but in different sizes. All the definitions need to be captured on the author table.

If I understood your request correctly, I think you want to use iLogic instead. You can focus on building one configuration. Next you use iLogic Design Copy to preserve the variation (make a copy).  Then work on another configuration.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you, that is a good alternative!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report