Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Parts

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
926 Views, 3 Replies

Combining Parts

Good afternoon community. I created a part with non-planar walls, 4 sided with (1mm thickness) and now want to add a clip to the walls however I'm having a problem joining the clip to the side wall. The error that I receive says that I have to have two solids. Is there a way to join the clip to the side-wall? 

Trying to Combine the twoTrying to Combine the two

Thanks in advance,

Voltaire 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

Normally no big deal. Attach your file, and you will see.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue

Hi! I suspect the intersection between the two parts (or two bodies) is clean. Without seeing the file, I can only speculate. Here is something you can try fairly easily. Use Delete Face command (Modify -> expand it). Remove the face of the snap part toward the wall. The solid body will become a surface. Use Extend command to extend the surface edges so they penetrate the wall. Lastly use Sculpt to join the snap part to the main body.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
3D4Play

IFF the two features were created as two features with a single sketch, and the "clip" sketch geometry uses the "body sketch" geometry, just go into your sketch  and connect the sketch geometry together. This way, when you create the second feature it is already part of the same, single solid as the first feature. In other words, if you have a gap between the two feature sketches (image 1), then you will need to use surface blending or similar to join them together. However, if you do not have a gap in between them (image 2), the second feature is automatically joined to the first feature in the same single solid (image 3), unless you have explicitly told the extrude command to "create new solid" - which you haven't done with the second feature, otherwise you wouldn't be getting the error.

3D4Play_0-1592247704995.png  

3D4Play_1-1592247758680.png

3D4Play_2-1592247819514.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report