Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil spiral tube end not square to path-IV 2023

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
gcross
263 Views, 1 Reply

Coil spiral tube end not square to path-IV 2023

I created a tapered spiral tubing part using a coil feature that ends with the tube end face at an angle instead of being squared to the coil path. If this were a spring, it should not naturally have this angled end. The end face angle seems to follow the coil axis.

Problem is that I need the end of the coil to be square to the path like what a real tube or spring would look like if you bent it this way without any second operations. FYI- the attached part has added another coil cut feature with the same parameters as the first to make a groove all along the bottom of the tube part.

But I cannot figure out how to do this using using the Coil tool. And it seems impossible to add features at the end that will make the end look square to the path. I tried a multitude of planes, axis, sketches, extrude to fake it but it looks very off at close examination.

Does anyone know how to get the coil tool to produce a square end without adding secondary features afterwards to do it?

Or any ideas on how to accurately make the end square using additional features if it cannot be done within the coil tool?

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
kacper.suchomski
in reply to: gcross

Hi

The model is correct. The Coil tool maintains the cross section relative to the coil axis, not the path.

If you want to keep the section perpendicular to the path:

1. Create a 3D sketch and create a 3D helix in this sketch.
  2. Create a workplane perpendicular to the sketch curve.
  3. Create a section sketch.
  4. Sweep the sketch.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report