Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing sheet metal thickness cause losing all the features

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
isaac.folk
1339 Views, 6 Replies

Changing sheet metal thickness cause losing all the features

This is my first time using this forum.  I really thank you in advance to whoever willing to assist.  I am almost done with the design and want to change the sheet metal thickness.  Somehow Inventor is not able to find edges again in flange feature again after changing thickness.  When I try to fix the flange feature, edges are highlight, but it is not able to generate the feature.  Maybe my file is corrupted, or software issue on my computer?  Is anyone able to modify the thickness of my file attached and not losing all the feature?  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: isaac.folk

In your extrusion 1, change this extrusion thickness to "Thickness".

2020-03-03_1533.png

Now in your "Sheet Metal Styles" dialog, change your thickness here to whatever you want it to be.

2020-03-03_1535.png

Your part should update just fine.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
andrewdroth

If you change the "Extrusion 1" distance to use the 'Thickness' parameter it will work better.

But you should have really started with a 'face' command instead of an 'extrusion'.

There's some other things that could be done differently, but let me know if that fixes your problem.

EDIT: Like he said^^^

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi Issac,

In addition to Kirk's and Andrew's solutions, I suggest you use Sheet Metal Rule to drive the Thickness. I guess you started out the part as a regular part without using a sheet metal template. Then you converted the regular part to a sheet metal part by overriding the thickness. This should work fine. This workflow is more like a shortcut. It is not how sheet metal parts should be designed.

Sheet Metal design is more like rule-based design. You need to set up the thickness, material, bend radius, and so on. These parameters are defined in the rule (Manage -> Styles Editor -> Sheet Metal Rule), driving the sheet metal model.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
isaac.folk
in reply to: karthur1

Karthur1,

As a beginner on Inventor, I am trying to learn the software and perform at my job.  I am sure I have done many wrong steps!  I really thank you for the quick support.  You have shown me linking the extrusion distance to thickness setting.  That is really awesome!  Many thanks!

Regards,

Isaac

Message 6 of 7
isaac.folk
in reply to: andrewdroth

Andrew,

You are right on.  Everyone have gotten my problem fix!  I really thank you for your support!

Regards,

Isaac

Message 7 of 7
isaac.folk
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

I think you are right about how I created the part from beginning.  It was a couple months ago when I first started to use Inventor.  You and everyone is awesome in the forum!  Many Thanks!

Regards,

Isaac

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report