Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the decimal precision of Parts List QTY for Frame Generator Members

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
Anonymous
6073 Views, 45 Replies

Change the decimal precision of Parts List QTY for Frame Generator Members

Hi,

I am using a Parts List in an Inventor Drawing of an Inventor Assembly that contains parts with Base Unit 'Each' and Frame Generator members with Base Quantity 'm'.  I set the Part Number in the BOM for all of the similar frame generator members to the same value so that they roll-up in the Structured BOM.

This works fine.  The Parts List in the drawing displays the 'Each' components without a unit / decimal precision and the frame generator parts all get nicely summed up which is what I want.  Unfortunately the decimal precision of the frame generator members is defaulting to 0.000 which is making my parts list untidy and I want to round this figure up to the nearest meter.

I have tried going into each frame member and changing the tolerance > precision on each and every member.  This works to reduce the number of decimal places in the parts list once all of the members are changed but is incredibly tedious.  It also doesn't quite fix my problem as I would like to round up and this approach rounds down.

I have also tried changing the column format of the parts list table or the QTY column to m and setting the decimal precision there using 'apply units formatting'.  This works to fix the precision on the frame generator parts but unfortunately it also changes all of my normal 'each' parts too which is incorrect.

One thing that did look promising was introducing a substitution in the column format for the QTY column on the parts list table.  I tried picking up the property 'G_L' which is a custom iProperty that the Frame Generator creates for all members that contains the length.  My hope was to sum this field (which looks to be one of the options) and then be able to 'Apply Unit Formatting' of m with precision 0 for this sum.  Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work as I expected and the parts list cell that it represents turns blue and has *Varies* in it.  I've checked and all of the members have valid lengths in this G_L custom iProperty.

Any ideas as to how I do this?  Any help gratefully received.

45 REPLIES 45
Message 21 of 46

Hi, has the problem with BOM been fixed? I'm steel getting 3 decimals which is bad and no number of parts... Inventor 2021.4

Message 22 of 46
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Andrey,

Like John mentioned earlier, it should have been fixed as of 2020.x update. Your issue may or may not be the same. Do you mind sharing an example here or start a new thread describing the behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 23 of 46

don't mind it at all - I have planned a talk with support team today, will
feedback later on.
Message 24 of 46
pl.sivakumar

Can possible to explain elaborate, How?
Step by step
Message 25 of 46
pl.sivakumar
in reply to: pl.sivakumar

403.869 require 403.9

Capture.PNG

Message 26 of 46

Hi Jonson, I have spoken today with Autodesk support and it has cleared up a little. The thing was that I use localised version of the Inventor annotation standard version for Russia (ESKD GOST). It is an Add-on. And it addresses the Part-list incorrectly. In the regular version the Parts list is managed well. So the problem for me has been partially resolved - waiting for an update with ESKD-GOST standart correction.
Thank you for reply.
Message 27 of 46

Hi Mr Andrey pawlow,
I am using the standard version, Can possible to explain how to do it?
Message 28 of 46

Hi, if we talk about changing the decimals in the Parts list column it goes this way:
1. Over the Parts List table Right click "Edit Parts list"
2. Choose the column with the values you want to correct decimal value appearance and Right click -> Choose Format column (! it works only over the column header).
3. Switch the robo button to "Apply units formatting"
4. Change format to desired number of decimal places.
5. You may also get rid of the "mm" or "kg" extension unchecking the "Unit String" box.

Hope, I've answered your question)
Message 29 of 46

HI,

Only length dimension getting changes, But
[image: image.png]

429.199 shows,

Only length working perfectly.
Message 30 of 46
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please share the files here. It could be a bug or a setting was not set correctly. Without seeing the files, it is impossible to tell.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 31 of 46
pl.sivakumar
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Enclosed herewith file for your reference

I am looking Here SAP 090-00 x400mm, SAP 090 x1210mm & SAP 106-01 x391mm
Message 32 of 46
pl.sivakumar

Hi John,

Good morning,

Thanks for your reply,

Enclosed herewith files for your review 

Looking solution for SAP 090-00 x400mm Like this.

Capture.PNG

Message 33 of 46
johnsonshiue

Hi! I see the issue now. You need to change "G_L" precision in the Description. The display precision for parameters is mainly controlled by Doc Setting. Open the frame member file -> go to Tools -> Doc Settings -> Units -> change Linear Dimension Displace Precision to 0. Then the "G_L" will be shown without decimal places.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 34 of 46
pl.sivakumar

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply,

Yours input working good,

Right now we are doing a similar method, Frame member>Fx>G_L
Custom properties format> Trailing 1.1 & untick trailing zeros.

But this was a time-consuming process, Instead of this, the Autodesk
development team made trailing zero will be good.
Message 35 of 46
johnsonshiue

Hi! You could also change the Standard ipt template file so that its length unit display precision (Document Setting) is 0.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 36 of 46
pl.sivakumar

Can I know the location of the file?

I changed here, But same I am getting

Message 37 of 46
pl.sivakumar

Hi John,

I tried, but not getting the result,

can I know the file location?

I changed here,

2.PNG3.PNGCapture.PNG

Message 38 of 46
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am very sorry that I had another episode of human multi-threading error. I was wrong. The display precision in frame member cannot be controlled by the Standard template files. It is controlled by the CC Family Template.

The workflows are a bit confusing I have to admit. There isn't one option to change to make precision behave desirably. Here is the workflow to change CC Family Template.

1) The "G_L" display precision was saved in the family template. For Standard Content, the family template cannot be changed. You will need to copy the structural family to a custom library. Then you can change the family template. The family template simply is an ipt file with desirable document settings.

2) After you make a copy of the family, you can place a structural shape member from the library into an assembly. Open the ipt file and go to Tools -> Doc Settings -> Units -> change length dimension display precision -> Save.

3) Edit CC Library, find the family, and change the family template by select the ipt file in step2.

This will help enforce "G_L" display precision.

Many thanks! Sorry for the confusion!

Software Test Engineer
Message 39 of 46
pl.sivakumar

Hi John,

Thanks for your update.

All are clear, I am a little confused about this step.

3) Edit CC Library, find the family and change the family template by select the ipt file in step2.

Capture.PNG

Message 40 of 46
johnsonshiue

Hi! You need to Copy the standard family and turn it into a custom family (with a link to the standard; link can be suppressed). Then you will be able to replace the family template.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report