Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change selection color in IDW

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2837 Views, 11 Replies

Change selection color in IDW

I have a vision weakness known as anomalous trichromatism of the deuteranomaly type.  This is more commonly known as color blindness with the green spectrum being affected.

I have a very hard time distinguishing selected vs not selected lines in IDWs. Is there any way to change the color of the selected lines? The default green is nearly impossible for me to distinguish from black...

I am confident with modifying the registry if necessary, as this doesn't seem to be a readily available feature.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

what do you have for a back drop are you not seeing the tan sheet, black lines that highlight red?

...my colors are black and red ...

color.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

This is the pre-highlighting. Which is with the mouse over the line but not selected.

idw red pre-highlighted.PNG

This is the selected/highlighted line.

idw green highlighted.PNG

Here is where the real problem comes in. While sketching lines, the lines are already green and the selected line is almost indistinguishable from the non selected lines (to me).

See the line between the two 6.00" constraints is selected?

problem color.PNG

Message 4 of 12
mdavis22569

Try changing your color schemes under Options, Display ...

and see what one helps you see the dim's lines etc better

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

**EDIT**

It appears that the color schemes do change the color of the lines that are drawn. The highlighting appears to be static, however, with the different colored lines, I can now distinguish between the selected and not selected.

Thank you for your help!

**EDIT**

The color schemes don't change the color of lines in the IDW, only the background it seems. I made some screenshots to illustrate this between several different variations of the color schema.

deep blue idw color.PNGforest idw color.PNG

presentation idw color.PNGwinter day idw color.PNG

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I would still like to change the highlighted/pre-highlighted color if at all possible.

Message 7 of 12
mdavis22569

Yes that's correct ....it changed the highlight colors ...

However You could make your own layers ..and edit the colors to what works best for you ....

layers.PNG

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
salariua

There is a little utility called Color Scheme Editor. If you go to 

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\SDK\

and you install usertools.msi you will get a new folder UserTools and in there

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\SDK\UserTools\ColorSchemeEditor\Bin

is this little utility that can help you make the changes.

2015-05-06_07-19-26.png

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: salariua

Hi,

I would like to change colors as suggested. However, in inventor 2020, the folder ColorSchemeEditor was not included when installing the usertool. 

Is there a way to change the colors now?

Message 10 of 12
SBix26

SBix26_0-1630344778701.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.1 | Windows 10 Home 20H2
LinkedIn

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Hello

suggested solution only changes the background colors in drafting, and line/selection colors in design.

I would like to change in drafting mode, the color of the lines when highlighted and selected.

There is a way to change in document settings, but this only changes for the currently open document since it is documten setting. I would like it to be permanent application setting. 

Br, David

Message 12 of 12
SBix26

Ah, I see.  This will need to be a proposal in the Inventor Ideas forum. 

You could change the document settings for your drawing template(s), and perhaps even write some code to propagate that setting to all existing drawings, but other users may not appreciate that change.  It really should be a user setting, not a document setting. 

If you create an Idea in that forum, please post a link to it here so that others can vote for it.  I would, for sure.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.1 | Windows 10 Home 20H2
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report