Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Turn This Part To Sheet Metal? Help.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mario60890
339 Views, 3 Replies

Cant Turn This Part To Sheet Metal? Help.

Part is Attached. If anyone could please help me make this part into a folded part. Just wanted to add bends to it as you can see. I cant seem to bend the other edges. I made all features with a loft and extrude. Then shelled it with .0751. Worked great. Some bends and sheet metal features worked. I believe its possible but I Cant seem to figure it out. Id appreciate some help. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
IgorMir
in reply to: mario60890

There is some work involved in making that part a sheet metal part. But nothing dramatic, really. Here is a quick part. Please see the attached IV2020 file.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 4
mario60890
in reply to: IgorMir

Thanks IGOR. I was really hoping to be able to change those last few bends by using inventors inherent sheet metal tooling features like bend or corner buttons. I take it in this case no amount of adjusting the settings for bend reliefs  and corner reliefs or sheet metal defaults will allow me to use these tools to convert this part quicker?  If not then yes I take it this is the best that Can be done and I appreciate your help. I’ll consider this solved.

Message 4 of 4
IgorMir
in reply to: mario60890

Hi Mario,

Frankly - I wasn't looking too deep how to salvage your particular design.

There are two major ways of designing things in any a CAD.
First way is - to model whatever, without considering the manufacturing process. In good hope - that some smart people on the work shop floor will work the intricacy of the design themselves and make it work.
Second way is to model the item with a thorough  consideration of the technological/manufacturing process. 

In your particular case I would have started modeling the item from using the sheet metal module at the very beginning. That way I would be certain - the part can actually be made in sheet metal. Which means - I do adhere to the second principle, outlined above. 

Cheers,

Igor. 

@mario60890 wrote:

Thanks IGOR. I was really hoping to be able to change those last few bends by using inventors inherent sheet metal tooling features like bend or corner buttons. I take it in this case no amount of adjusting the settings for bend reliefs  and corner reliefs or sheet metal defaults will allow me to use these tools to convert this part quicker?  If not then yes I take it this is the best that Can be done and I appreciate your help. I’ll consider this solved.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report