Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the "New" file icons point to our template files instead? (Inventor 2016)

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
kwilson_design
722 Views, 13 Replies

Can the "New" file icons point to our template files instead? (Inventor 2016)

We just upgraded from 2014 to 2016, so the Home screen is new to us. I like some of the functionality but I instruct everyone to not use it yet because I don't want people using the "New" icons to create new parts, assemblies , drawings, etc since it doesn't use our company project template files. I clicked on the "Advanced" gear button but of course that only allows you to change units and such so it was of little help.

This is the same old problem as having the "new" file button at the top left next to the Inventor "I". They always link to the Default ipj therefore they are useless to use and just cause confusion for everyone. Is this something that can be changed?

default files.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

As far as I know the new button is not assoicated to a given project.  It is based on the location of your templates and the active project you have set in Inventor.  The new button uses the standard.ipt, standard.iam, and standard.idw.   Do you have those files located in your template location for your Vault project you show?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: kwilson_design

In the Folder Options section of your project file you can specifiy the path to your template files.

Templates1.jpg

You can also specify it in your application options.

template2.jpg

The project file will over ride the application options.

Message 4 of 14
-niels-

Don't click on the gear icon, click on the entire beam to switch to your own template location folder.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 14
kwilson_design
in reply to: -niels-

I know if I click the "Advanced" bar it will show my templates files. I'm just wondering if it's possible to change the location of the "basic" files so that it no longer can point to the default project template files. The problem is your typical non-savvy user isn't going to know to click on the bar (or they'll forget on a Monday) so it's just another level of confusion for them to deal with. I'm wanting them to be able to use the Home feature but at the risk of confusion I just know some of them are going to mess things up by not paying attention and I'll have my Vault filled with files that weren't created using my template files. That's a big risk I just can't take so I'm disabling this in the App Options until this is more flexible.

In the future, I'd love for a way to change the basic files to always point to the template files for the selected project file, just like it does in the Advanced bar but without having to click "Advanced". I may submit this as a Idea Station to gauge any interest in the community.

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 6 of 14
kwilson_design
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

In the Folder Options section of your project file you can specifiy the path to your template files.

You can also specify it in your application options.

The project file will over ride the application options.

This thread is not about that. Of course my template files are mapped to my project file lol. That's not what I'm asking for here.

Regards,
Kenny
Message 7 of 14
-niels-

Ah ok, your opening post made me think you hadn't found the advanced template section...

I'm not sure where the problem lies though, if i start a file with the basic buttons it opens my own templates.
(at least the ones with the names that match the basic templates.)
I've defined the location of our templates in the application options (see bob's screenshot above), so my project file can use the default location.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 14

My apologies for not specifying I knew of the bar. For me it's not an issue using it that way but for many of my users I know this will just confuse them, if that makes sense 😉

So your template files work because they are named the same as the Default files? If so then that is my problem as ours are named differently. We also have multiple drawing and part file templates based on different divisions or groups within our company. I don't think I would be able to get away with just one part file or drawing template. I'll have to think that one over.
Regards,
Kenny
Message 9 of 14
-niels-

We have several different templates as well, we set up our own "standard" templates to make sure that at least the basic stuff is correct.

The "My Home" screen does remember the advanced templates bar after restarting inventor, so it always open for me on that and i always select my templates there.

We only have a small user environment though (just 2), so it's not much of an issue for us.
Would it be very hard to give your users a small instruction on how the home screen works?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 10 of 14
kwilson_design

Sure I could give them work instructions, procedures, make a how-to video, etc but there's no guarantee they will follow through 100% of the time and that's the problem. Not to mention other times where Inv may crash for whatever reason and things get reset to default values. Using this software for over a decade I know it just comes with the territory and its an inevitable thing that will happen. I have over 30 users now who have access to Inv and about 20 who use it everyday. Despite my best efforts in providing them all the resources they need whether it's tutorial videos I create or no matter how well documented I make an email or how-to for them, there is also that fringe small percentage that messes up somewhere along the way either by pure acident or by blindly not paying attention to what they're doing. I think at this time it would be best if I made sure they can't see the Home screen on startup which I've unchecked this on their computers. Just a shame we can't really use it because of the potential issues it would/could cause if people don't pay close attention to what they're clicking. With a smaller group this is easily handled and controlled but things are much harder when you can't stand over everyone's shoulder all the time. Sorry for my CAD Manager rant of the day. I'm sure many can relate! 😄

Regards,
Kenny
Message 11 of 14
-niels-

Hmm, just a thought then: how about removing all the 'standard' named templates so the basic buttons don't work?
It's a bit invasive perhaps, might make inventor throw some errors but would force your users to use the company templates.

Sorry if I'm approaching this a bit simplistic, i don't have experience working with that many users.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 12 of 14
Mark.Lancaster

Removing standard.ipt and standard.iam will not issue any message and Inventor will still start a part of assembly.   A message will appear if standard.idw or .dwg is not present.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 13 of 14

Inventor will use the files called 'Standard' by default. But you can delete these and save your own file under the name 'Standard' instead.

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 14 of 14

@PaulMunford wrote:
Inventor will use the files called 'Standard' by default. But you can delete these and save your own file under the name 'Standard' instead.

The problem is we use multiple IDW's and IPT's in our project file. For instance we have a IDW setup for our Product Engineering department that has a specific border layout. We also have different border layouts and iLogic rules for other departments such as our Manufacturing Engineering and Defense departments. Each of these departments use their respective borders and drawing templates. I also have 3 part file templates that each have their own reasoning for existing (sheet metal part, standard part and a multi-body part file that is based on a gage to allow for easily creating variations...think ipart but without publishing).

Regards,
Kenny

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report