Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't suppress sub-parts in Model States

46 REPLIES 46
Message 1 of 47
suomenvaimennin
3890 Views, 46 Replies

Can't suppress sub-parts in Model States

So now that Level of Design is dead the only option is Model States. If I try to suppress a part that is in a sub-assembly the suppress feature is greyed out. I can only suppress the entire sub-assembly. In this case I only want to suppress the seals and O-rings, but nope. If I try to do the same thing in Simplify, which apparently replaces Shrinkwrap, I can pick individual sub-parts, but they are not highlighted, so I have to remember what I've selected and hope I didn't miss any, or I'll have to start over. I'm struggling to se how Model states has improved anything, everything just seems more cumbersome. Am I missing something, or is this just a terribly flawed release?

46 REPLIES 46
Message 41 of 47
mark20
in reply to: suomenvaimennin

Just switched to 2024 from 2018.  The new Model States is a HUGE step backwards from LOD.  It is much more cumbersome and time consuming to open each individual sub-assembly and create multiple Model States for each one.  And I can not longer suppress individual pipe runs or pipe segments within a pipe run.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put it back the way it was!!!!!

Message 42 of 47
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mark20

Hi Mark,

If you like the old LOD behaviors, I suggest you copy the Model States to Design Views individually. The Design Views behave very similarly to LODs. However, this also means the drawing views referencing the migrated Model States will be impacted.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 43 of 47
BDCollett
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Mark,

If you like the old LOD behaviors, I suggest you copy the Model States to Design Views individually. The Design Views behave very similarly to LODs. However, this also means the drawing views referencing the migrated Model States will be impacted.

Many thanks!

Hi Johnson, that is not really a solid solution. People were using LODs like this to change mass and bom for the assembly.  Design view does not do this.
It is a frustrating problem largely when using Frame Generator and Tube and Pipe.

Message 44 of 47

Another broken part of losing LOD is existing assemblies with sub assemblies are automatically "converted" to model states but it does not make a model state in the sub assembly. The automatic conversion does not have to obey the rules of model states. I can't edit or repair the model states it makes, and have to start over with view reps and an iLogic mass CG rule. If we had know how much work this would be we would have stayed on the old release. This is exactly why people put off "upgrading".  The model states have no value for our workflow just more work. I wonder what I rely on now that will be broken in the next release.

Message 45 of 47

Hi Chad,

The ability to suppress a component across levels is indeed not yet available within Model States. If you like the old LOD behaviors, I suggest you use Design View Rep instead of Model States. Design View Rep does allow user to hide components across levels.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 46 of 47
chadhQZ262
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I don't think you read my post.

It is aggravating to have you say why don't you try using view reps.

Message 47 of 47
johnsonshiue
in reply to: chadhQZ262

Hi Chad,

I never say, "why don't you use Design View Rep." I merely offer an option but the option isn't free unfortunately.

The reason LODs are migrated to Model States is to preserve the data (part, assembly and the drawing) integrity without the need to make any further change. If LODs were migrated to Design Views on open, such change would force users to save all the files.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report