Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Extrude or Emboss Text

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
28236 Views, 24 Replies

Can't Extrude or Emboss Text

I created sketches of text using fonts Edwardian Script (which is cursive) and Playbill (which is not cursive).  When I try to extrude either of them I get the error message:

"Self-intersecting loop found in this profile.  Remove the intersection by adding a sketch point at curve intersections or by changing non-profile geometry to construction geometry."

Other fonts I try like Arial for example extrude just fine.  It seems like the cursive fonts and even some non-cursive fonts don't extruder straight forward.  I also tried Emboss instead of Extrude on the problematic fonts and this fails as well.

Any idea how to get cursive and other problematic fonts to extrude?  What does the error message mean when it says add a sketch point at curve intersections or change non-profile geometry to construction geometry?  How do I do this?

Tags (1)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Anonymous

Also, take a look at Vladimir script, unless you HAVE to have it be Edwardian. The Vladimir will almost always extrude no problem just from the regular Inventor text tool.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous

Lmfao same. I have no clue what I'm doin on here. 

Message 23 of 25
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you share an example exhibiting the behavior here?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous

Like others said, many fonts aren't compatible with extrusion. If anyone wants an easy solution, I've found that the cursive (connected) fonts that DO work without modification are Script MT and Segoe Script.

Message 25 of 25
vakamb00

A more updated solution from 2021 is the one I described on a similar post:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/added-otf-font-unusable-for-cut-or-extrude/m-p/104...

The way is to "Edit Sketch" where your text is, then "Explode Text" and then you can select the letters' faces and extrude them!

click on the link for a more detailed answer.

Hope it helps somebody!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report