Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Slots using Ordinate Set

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
PaulPink1017
603 Views, 5 Replies

Dimension Slots using Ordinate Set

When cutting a slot or keyway, we program our CNC machines using the overall length of slot and width of slot. We can pick the end points of each end of a slot when dimensioning with the general dimension tool, but, with the Ordinate Set choice, we can only pick center points of each end. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SharkDesign
in reply to: PaulPink1017

This is how it works for some reason. 

If you place the first one on the centre and ok it, you should be able to select end points afterwards. Dunno why that is. 

That's how it works in ordinate, you might have to start the command again in set to add further dimensions. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 6
SharkDesign

Just did it to check.

Start ordinate set

Click on your base line, then any line after that

Middle click and do 'continue'

now you can select the end of slots

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr

I always add "midpoints" via "add member" (right click) after creating/placing your first ordinate set. 

It would be nice to be able to quickly add midpoints during the initial set selection.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 6
SBix26

I think it depends on the state of the Application Options > Drawing > Enable ordinate dimension geometry selection.  If checked, then ordinate dimensions are not placed on arc mid-points (or quadrants) as you would like.  If unchecked, you are able to place ordinate dimensions at the quadrant points with ease (see below).

SBix26_0-1626465521946.png

In any case, though, if you do it with the option checked, and dimensions are placed to the arc centers, they are easily dragged to the desired location after placement.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 20H2
LinkedIn

Message 6 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26 wrote:

I think it depends on the state of the Application Options > Drawing > Enable ordinate dimension geometry selection.  If checked, then ordinate dimensions are not placed on arc mid-points (or quadrants) as you would like.  If unchecked, you are able to place ordinate dimensions at the quadrant points with ease (see below).

BOOM.. There ya go.. Never noticed that option before..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report