Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug Found in "Circular Pattern" Function

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BeKirra
1228 Views, 6 Replies

Bug Found in "Circular Pattern" Function

Inventor (Product Design Suite Ultimate 2016) - has the latest updates.

Description:

(1) Start from a new IPT

(2) Drawing a circle with dimension

(3) Drawing a small circle on the circle drawn above (2).

(4) This now is the issue: "Offset" the small circle drawn above (3) - I am going to create pipes.

(5) Dimension the pipe with "OD" and "Thickness"

(6) Create circular pattern for the pipe sketch drawn in step (3) and (4), (number = 4, angle = 300 degrees)

(7) Then finally it is failed on the circular pattern creation. Error message: "Failed to create circular sketch pattern."

The circular pattern can ONLY be created if:

1) draw second circle concentrated to the one drawn in step (3) for pipe, instead of using "offset" function in step (4) above, OR

2) change the angle value to 360 degrees instead of "300" in step (6).

Do you have this issue?

Note: I have not yet installed 2017 version.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: BeKirra

@BeKirra

Unless I missing something..  I have no problem..

2-20-2017 6-09-41 PM.jpg  Also you shouldn't really use sketch patterns.  Instead use feature pattern..  Smiley Wink  Attach your part file and we will see what's going on.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Mark,

You are missing dimension of large circle

OD dimension of pipe

Thickness dimension of pipe.

I was able to reproduce the "issue" in 2015, have not tried 2017 yet.

Edit:  OK, now I was able to reproduce the "issue" in 2017.

But it would not have occurred to me to pattern sketch rather than feature or body.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks @JDMather

Its odd (and why I didn't try it)..  That it can pattern without dimensions but is unable with dimensions.  That's why I didn't add dimensions thinking it really didn't make a difference but I was wrong Smiley Sad and I can see the same thing. 

Okay here's what else I found..

If you dimension the ID and apply a thickness dimension for the OD of the pipe, it patterns fine.

If you dimension just the OD, when it patterns it removes the inner circle or pipe id.

Update:  Also if you dimension the OD and ID of the pipe it also patterns correctly.

Odd behavior...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 7
BeKirra

@Mark.Lancaster wrote:

Thanks @JDMather

Its odd (and why I didn't try it)..  That it can pattern without dimensions but is unable with dimensions.  That's why I didn't add dimensions thinking it really didn't make a difference but I was wrong Smiley Sad and I can see the same thing. 

Okay here's what else I found..

If you dimension the ID and apply a thickness dimension for the OD of the pipe, it patterns fine.

If you dimension just the OD, when it patterns it removes the inner circle or pipe id.

Update:  Also if you dimension the OD and ID of the pipe it also patterns correctly.

Odd behavior...

I'd like to confirm this, it will failed if I left OD or thickness not dimension.

Re: "Also you shouldn't really use sketch patterns.  Instead use feature pattern."

I know couple of ways to create pipes in circular pattern but this is only an example.

Much appreciated for your response anyway.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 6 of 7
BeKirra
in reply to: BeKirra

@BeKirra wrote:

I'd like to confirm this, it will failed if I left OD or thickness not dimension.

Sorry the statement above is not correct.

I was going to say "I'd like to confirm this, the circular pattern can be created if I left OD or thickness not dimension."

X² + Y² = C²
Message 7 of 7
-niels-

Just want to add a little to this:
I see the same issue in IV2016 and the thing i found was that it does pattern when set to 360 degrees, but any other angle fails.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report