Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Structure Column Not Available in IDW Environment

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
amarinXG8V6
241 Views, 2 Replies

BOM Structure Column Not Available in IDW Environment

Hi folks,

I was in the process of trying to create a BOM on my IDW drawing that also listed the BOM Structure column which can be accessed in the IAM environment when I noticed that it is not available to select from in the Column Chooser. Is there anyway to access the BOM Structure column in the IDW environment when placing a BOM on a sheet? I'm using the categories in the BOM Structure as a way to denote "in house" manufactured components which are set to "Normal" BOM Structure from "Purchased" components which are set to "Purchased" in the BOM Structure and I would like to show that on a print.

amarinXG8V6_0-1649444633451.png

amarinXG8V6_1-1649444731923.png

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pcrawley
in reply to: amarinXG8V6

That's an interesting way to use the "BOM Structure" - I'd never thought of it like that.

"No" is the answer.  The BOM Structure column determines how the data is presented in the drawing's Parts List - it is not another property for display.

Check out https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014...

The idea of "Structure" is so you can decide how components are counted in the assembly.  In your case, it looks like you are drawing a frame.  If the frame BOM Structure was set to "Purchased", you would see 1x Frame in the parts list - not all the frame members.  If the frame assembly is just a place-holder for the parts you need to fabricate, you want to set the frame assembly to be "Phantom" - then you will see all the frame members in the parts list.

(Sorry for edit - I realised my reply didn't make sense.)

Peter
Message 3 of 3
amarinXG8V6
in reply to: pcrawley

@pcrawley 

Thank you for the feedback! I'm familiar with using the BOM Structure to control what I see on the parts list in a drawing. In this case it is a Frame Generator assembly that is created from a weldment template assembly and I'm using a part only parts list to display on the drawing.

My employer wants to have BOM data exported to excel (like so many employers do...lol). I'm not fond of this method but alas such is life. If I export the BOM from the IAM I can have access to the BOM Structure Column which I may end up doing as opposed to exporting the BOM from the IDW environment.

I wonder if some iLogic code could be written to take the BOM Structure value and deliver it as a string text value to another iProperty such as category or cost center? Do you know if that can be done in iLogic? I may pose this question in the VBA Inventor forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report