Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM simple total of material used question.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Kerry.McInnes
302 Views, 10 Replies

BOM simple total of material used question.

I'm sure I'm over looking something and this is a lot simpler than I'm thinking but, lets say I have an assembly made up of frame members and other sub-assemblies, parts, etc. I just want to hand the purchaser a total of the materials needed for the whole job, not a cut sheet but a simple

1. 200' of 2x2x.25 angle
  2. 150' of 2x2x.125 sq tube
  3. 20 1/2" bolts
  4. etc.
  5. etc.

how can I achieve this, and preferably export it to excel or word? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

You should be able to export to Excel a Parts List from your drawing with that information. Use the option to have Parts Only BOM:

Galaxybane_0-1664465644968.png

At the assembly you may need to enable that Parts only BOM first, and set to merge similar parts that have the same material type:

Galaxybane_1-1664465698599.png

Message 3 of 11

Yeah I can do that and that's what I'm doing right now but it still gives me a list with all the same frame member sizes but as different parts and we have to add it all up, which isn't that hard but I would like to be able to just create a list of the overall totals.

Message 4 of 11

I see... well, you can edit all the Part Numbers to remove the length from them (as they usually come from the Content Center with a suffix of length), then your BOM grouping (set to merge by part number) should kick in and add them up.

Galaxybane_0-1664477210408.png

Before:

Galaxybane_2-1664477366271.png

After:

Galaxybane_1-1664477266722.png

Message 5 of 11

Just wanted to bring this back up to see if anyone knows how I can achieve this.

Message 6 of 11

You just have to make all same frame member (those that you want grouped) have the same partnumber.

Are these content center parts? Then you need to change partnumber there

Do you use instance properties with these parts? Then they come seperate, Instance properties do not work with "merge rows"

Inventor 20250, Vault Professional 2025, Autocad Plant 3D 2024
Message 7 of 11

If I change the part number then its going to mess up my BOM on the drawings for the shop floor, correct? Or will changing the part number on the "parts only" tab not have ab effect on the "structured" part numbers?

Message 8 of 11

I don't think it will mess up your BOM. It will group the lines that have the same partnumber. Maybe try with 1 part that needs grouping to test

Inventor 20250, Vault Professional 2025, Autocad Plant 3D 2024
Message 9 of 11
IgorMir
in reply to: Kerry.McInnes

Hi Kerry,
I do it in a separate spread sheet file. Just as it is shown in the attached file.
The BOM is exported and then - I do what I need to do in that file.
Yes, it is a manual work and that file is not linked to the original BOM. It probably can be done, but it is not that very often I need such a file. Hence - a simple, old fashioned way of doing it.
Cheers,

Igor.

@Kerry.McInnes wrote:

Just wanted to bring this back up to see if anyone knows how I can achieve this.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 10 of 11
Kerry.McInnes
in reply to: IgorMir

That's the conclusion I came to as well. I exported it to excel and may format some cells to add the total overall length or just add it manually. Was just wondering if there was perhaps a quick way of getting that info from Inventor. Thanks all for the help.

Message 11 of 11

Hi Kerry,

I think it is doable without exporting to Excel, if I understand the request correctly. What you need to do is to disable Part Number Merging option in the assembly BOM. Then go to drawing PartsList -> enable Group Settings in the PartsList -> set the Key to Description. Then you will get a PartsList with description specific rows.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report