Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted Connections with points

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
NickSycamoreDAE
153 Views, 1 Reply

Bolted Connections with points

Hello,

I have recently upgraded from Inventor 2022 to Inventor 2024 and have found that the bolted connection with points does not behave in the same way as it did before and now seems very buggy.

Typically in frame generator assemblies, if I needed to make bolt holes in my frames I would make a sketch with many points in an layout part and then use that sketch in a bolted connection.  If I had rows of frames that had the same bolt pattern, I could use the same sketch in my bolted connections to make the holes I required.  Also using the bolted connection with points would put holes in any member between the start and termination planes, even if there were multiple parts in multiply assemblies that were not in that path of the first point I selected.

Now in 2024 there are multiple issues that there were not before.

1. The bolted connection will only use some points in a sketch, not all. It will not allow you to hold CTRL and select more points.  In some cases you can do another bolted connection and switch the start and termination planes from the first bolted connection, and then it will use the missing points, but not let you select the points from the first bolted connection. I don't understand why it does this and it seems random at times.
  2. The bolted connection will only use points if the sketch is close to the start plane. If I am using the same pattern in multiple rows of frames I may put my sketch on an origin plane so that it is not in between frame members. The bolted connection will not let me select the points in that sketch. If I make a plane in between the frame members and redefine the sketch to that plane, the bolted connection will work.
  3. I can not use the same points in multiple bolted connections. This may also be connected to the point above about the proximity of the sketch.

It is possible the functionality of bolted connection has changed between 2022 and 2024, please let me know if there is any way to improve my use of it so I can get back to using the way I did before.

Thanks!

Labels (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi! The Bolted Conn behavior does not sound right to me. Unless the sketch is corrupted, all the points should be taken by Bolted Con. Please share the files you are working on or send it directly to johnson.shiue@autodesk. I would like to understand the issue better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report