Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boat Propeller

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1883 Views, 9 Replies

Boat Propeller

Does anyone have any idea on how to draw boat propeller wings?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Rob67ert
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there and welcome to this forum.
Do you have a picture os what it should look like?
Most propeller wings are calculated and that data is used to make the drawing.
You will get cross sections in data sheet like excel.
That data you can then use to make a model of is.

Robert

If you find this reply helpful ? It would be nice if you use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 3 of 10
Lewis.Young

Hi there,

Attached is an idea of how you could model the propeller.

Obviously I've just made up these values, but as Robert said, they'd realistically be modeled straight from calculations.

Anyway, hope this has helped!

Lewis

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

What version of Inventor?

Can you attach your initial attempt here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 10
jhackney1972

Lewis Young had the basic same approach using surfaces but you can cut out a lot of work by just sketching a rectangle and use the coil command to make one blade.  After that, add your fillets to the edges and then pattern.  See the attached pictures.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hey thanks for the help,

My version is 2018 and the problem I'm facing is that the coil tool is not working because the two ends of the wings are not the same size or shape. In addition, the main section of the Propeller is shaped like a cone and I am having trouble lofting to the surface properly. 

Thanks Again,

Trevor Belson

Mechanical Engineering Major

SUNY Maritime College

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thanks for the help!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Rob67ert

Hey thanks for the help,

I'm having trouble because the coil tool wont work properly for this propeller design because the ends of the wings are different widths and thicknesses. Also, the main section of the propeller is a truncated cone and it is difficult use loft for the wings. Attached is my file and a couple pictures of the propeller. 

Thanks Again,

Trevor Belson

Mechanical Engineering Major

SUNY Maritime College

Message 9 of 10
JDMather

Has your instructor covered the importance of fully defining your sketches?

What is the logical purpose of Workplane1 (how is it different than the XZ Plane)?

What is the logical purpose of Workplane2 (how is it different than the XY Plane)?

Can you show pictures of the actual part without shadows?

Can you show picture of the bottom of the part?

Sketch11 should have been one single circle - it is preferable to pattern features rather than sketch elements.

Sketch10 should have been one single circle - it is preferable to pattern features rather than sketch elements.

The holes on your model are not equally spaced while they appear to be equally spaced on the original model?

If I do a section view - I see a very thin section that I would not expect to mold properly.

Thin Section.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 10
Vadim-the-Engineer

There are dozens of types of boat propellers with different loads, purposes, and design specifications... might be very useful to going theory and finding the one you want and while this you'll find the data you are looking for: dimensions, proportions, angles etc.... 

If lazy: GrabCAD 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report