Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill of materials viewer

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jla9A94K
738 Views, 9 Replies

Bill of materials viewer

I want to be able to change items from "reference" to "default" in the bill of materials viewer that you open in the assembly.

I realize you can do this with the bill of materials closed, browse through the assembly model and right click then select BOM structure and default. This method is slow. If its possible to do this through the bill of materials viewer would just make more sense, I assume I'm just missing something.

Thanks,

Jesse

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
SharkDesign
in reply to: jla9A94K

You can change them to any structure you want in the BOM and any iproperty. 

If you can't, it's read only, so it's either content center, library part, or you have vault and it's not checked out.

When you say default, I assume you mean 'normal?'

Also see this:

https://youtu.be/J3afwfWDCdQ

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 10
jla9A94K
in reply to: SharkDesign

Thanks, thats it exactly! and yes I did mean normal.

I see it now but I still find the behavior strange... the BOM viewer allows you to change the item from normal to ref (or vice versa) only if the part is checked out, however the in the model tree you can change the status regardless of whether it is checked out...

Message 4 of 10
SharkDesign

Are you changing it in instance properties in the assembly?
They are saved at assembly level only.
  Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 5 of 10
jla9A94K

I'm changing the assembly, or rather that is my intent. I certainly don't want to make the instance of the part reference in every assembly that calls for it.

I did have some components as reference in the assembly and now I've changed them to normal... when I create the parts list on the drawing I'm now able to see the items I need.

Message 6 of 10
A.Acheson

Default or reference in the browser is an override of the part/sub assembly BOM structure in the context of that assembly. The BOM structure in the BOM directly affects the parts/assemblies files, much the same as setting the structure inside in the file under document settings. 

You can use some ilogic to check/set all of the occurences to default BOM structure. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 7 of 10
jla9A94K
in reply to: A.Acheson

I'm not sure that I understand your explanation.

What if I have a content center part like a 1/4-20 socket head screw x 1.00 long, and I just (for whatever reason) don't want to count that hardware in some assembly (where I will show a parts list). In this case I do not want to make every instance of the screw reference, so that it does not show up anywhere. I just want the screw reference in a specific assembly.

Message 8 of 10
A.Acheson

Here is an example of  read only CC bolt set to Reference on one instance and Default on the other and this shows Qty 1 in BOM and does not affect the BOM Structure of the CC file in any other assembly or in the file itself other than this assembly. 

AAcheson_0-1630603787111.png 

Regards
Alan
Message 9 of 10
jla9A94K
in reply to: A.Acheson

Is it right that in order to do that you needed to right click one bolt in the Inventor model browser (and either use iproperties or "bom structure") to change the desired part to ref... you couldn't change one bolt in the bom viewer table because you would be changing the part properties (globally). If that's not right please advise... otherwise, thanks for the clarification.

Message 10 of 10
A.Acheson

That is correct. You can see the behaviour in the model Tab of the BOM. In the model change one occurrence to Reference and leave one as default Normal, both will show up in the model tab separate and if you try and change the reference to another BOM Structure it will bounce back to Reference. 

And to test the BOM structure of a regular file change in the BOM and open the file and check the document BOM structure in document settings and it will have changed to match.  

Regards
Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report