Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor 2017 Problem - Communication Failure

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
687 Views, 3 Replies

Autodesk Inventor 2017 Problem - Communication Failure

When Autodesk Inventor first started installing, it was stuck on setup initialization for half an hour, so I did what any impatient person would do and closed it using task manager. That gave me an error saying it was already installing when I tried to install it again, so I restarted my computer. When I try and run "setup.exe" or "AutodeskInstallNow.exe" now, it gives me a "Communication Failure." I turned my firewall off and tried again, and that did not change anything. I also cleared my download cache and tried again. Again, nothing.

I did not buy this as I am using it for school, so it gave it to me free for four years. (I think it's four)

I've been trying to fix this for two weeks. Thank you if you can help!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Your problem is related to using the Install Now option which has a tendency to fail more times than actually install the product.   And by the way student license is only good for 3 years not 4..  Smiley Very Happy

At this point I'm not sure if you got it installed or half installed..  Following these steps

Perform a clean uninstall per these instructions.  Just make sure to adjust settings if you have other Autodesk products already installed/working on your machine.

Download and install per:

1.  Clean out your personal temp (%temp%) folder.  Make sure you have full admin rights, set Windows UAC to never notify and if possible disable your Anti-Virus/Malware scanning utilities. Also the download should occur over a hard wired connection to the Internet and not over WIFI.

2. Access the Autodesk Virtual Agent and follow the download links to your product.

3. Download all of the parts (some applications only have a single part to download) for your product first. This means save each part to your hard drive.  Do not continue until all of the parts have fully downloaded.
4. Navigate to your download folder location and extract (double click) part _001_00X.sfx.exe (or the single file download).
5. In a few seconds the extraction will start and prompt you to extract to C:\Autodesk.
6. Once the extraction is finished, the installation will automatically start.
7. Follow the installation steps for your product.  At this point you could cancel the installation or create a deployment.

However if the installation does fail using this method, please post your installation log file here so we can review it.

Posting info: Sometimes the installation log file contains the serial # that was assigned to you.  Open your log file using Windows Notepad and perform a search on "/SN".  Depending on the number of installation attempts, your serial # may be located throughout the log file.  If present, remove or "X" out your serial # prior to posting.

Good luck on your installation and report back on your progress.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been trying to fix this for two weeks. ..

Where is your instructor?

Can you ask your instructor to join this discussion?

Follow @Mark.Lancaster instructions, and this time if you run into trouble - ask questions, don't fight it for two weeks.

This is easy if you follow Mark's instructions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thank you @Mark.Lancaster ! This worked, even though I didn't have anything to uninstall because there was nothing there that I installed in the first place (it never installed successfully).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report