Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign Style to Document

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
chris14
490 Views, 8 Replies

Assign Style to Document

How can I switch the default dimension style for an idw?  I don't want to change the template, just need to change for one document.

Thanks!

Chris Breidenbaugh

IV2022

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: chris14

Switch it to what? From where?

If you have 2 dimension styles already in a drawing then you can simply use the "Select all Inventor Dimensions" selection filter and then pick the new dimension style from the dropdown in the Format section of the Annotate ribbon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
chris14
in reply to: mcgyvr

X.XXX is the current default.  I want to change to X.XX mm [in] for one drawing.

Message 4 of 9
mcgyvr

@chris14 wrote:

X.XXX is the current default.  I want to change to X.XX mm [in] for one drawing.

Are those the names of the styles currently accessible in the drawing? If so see what I wrote above..

OR are you asking how to actually edit styles to make the modifications to units and precision?

If so simply right click on one of the dimensions and select "edit dimension style" and then select the necessary precision from the Units tab and on the alternate units tab select "in" from the dropdown..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 9
chris14
in reply to: mcgyvr

What I want to do is leave the X.XXX style alone.  I have edited the X.XX mm [in] to reflect the needs of this one drawing.  I understand how to select the dimensions and change the Style via the Format tab.  I thought I could make things easier by changing the default style once and not have to worry about selecting dimensions later.

Message 6 of 9
mcgyvr

@chris14 wrote:

What I want to do is leave the X.XXX style alone.  I have edited the X.XX mm [in] to reflect the needs of this one drawing.  I understand how to select the dimensions and change the Style via the Format tab.  I thought I could make things easier by changing the default style once and not have to worry about selecting dimensions later.

So if the goal is to avoid select all dimensions (or maybe you want to selectively apply this that you are worried about)..

Then you can easily copy the active style and call it X.XXX_old temporarily then change your active X.XXX style and rename it X.XX mm[in] and make the changes you want then rename the X.XXX_old to X.XXX again thus in essence leaving that intact.. But ever so slightly less work assuming you want to change all dimensions to just copy the current style..make the changes you want in the new one.. Then use the "Select all Inventor DImensions" filter and then pick the new style from the dropdown.. 

Message 7 of 9
jtylerbc

The default dimension style (and a lot of other defaults) is controlled by the "Object Defaults" style.

You can edit that style in the desired drawing, and change the default dimension style.  Note that you'll probably have to change it in more than one place, since there are separate line items for Linear, Angular, Radial, etc. dimensions in case you wanted different styles for different dimension types.

Message 8 of 9
SharkDesign

You can just change it to whatever you want. It won't affect your templates, you might just get a warning message when you open it saying it doesn't match the style library though.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Chris,

As other experts already mentioned, you can change the Object Default (Manage -> Styles and Standards Editor -> Standard -> Object Default) to a different style. This will apply to the entire idw/dwg file.

Another way to change is to select all the dimensions on a sheet. Go to Select Filter -> Inventor Dimensions. After the dimensions are selected, go to Annotate tab -> go to the far right -> change the style associated with the selected dimensions.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report