Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly material in dwg BOM?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
timdown73
239 Views, 6 Replies

Assembly material in dwg BOM?

Hi,

I need to be able to collapse item 1 in the drawing BOM, but still show the bolt material in the material column. Is there a way to do this? See image below...

timdown73_0-1655823035167.png

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: timdown73

Assemblies don't really have a material of their own, so I'm not sure this is going to be possible any way other than a manual entry in the parts list.

Even in your simple example, you have two materials.  How would Inventor know which one you wanted to be the "assembly material"?

Message 3 of 7
timdown73
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for the reply. I need the BOM to act this way for our General Assembly drawings. Our customer does not care, nor do we want them to know what materials our .ipts or subassemblies are made out of. They just need to know what material the main part is.
For example:
Pen / Red Ink
not
Pen / Red Ink / Plastic/ Spring_Steel/ ect...
-Tim U.
Message 4 of 7
CCarreiras
in reply to: timdown73

Hi!

Just a workaround... when sending to customers... it's kind of silly, but... it works.
Create a Custom Property in Assembly called MATERIAL (or other) and fill the Material you want.

Then import that Property to the BOM in a new Column and hide the real Material part's Column.

ccarreiras_0-1655831262484.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
timdown73
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks for looking into it further! That would work for me if I could tie (automatically update) that new custom material column to the material in a specific .ipt in the .iam. As is, I would still have to type the material in the custom property. Materials change from quote to quote and I only want to manage them at the .ipt level.
-Tim U.
Message 6 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: CCarreiras

@CCarreiras wrote:

Hi!

Just a workaround... when sending to customers... it's kind of silly, but... it works.
Create a Custom Property in Assembly called MATERIAL (or other) and fill the Material you want.

Then import that Property to the BOM in a new Column and hide the real Material part's Column.

A slight improvement on this method would be to keep the real Material column in the parts list, but add a Substitution to that column to use the custom property instead when it exists.  That way all the materials for the parts would show up as they currently do, but the assembly would substitute the "AssyMaterial" property (or whatever you want to name it) if it is present.

Message 7 of 7
timdown73
in reply to: jtylerbc

Even changing it to a weldment doesn't work because it's still just picking the material from a dropdown and not deriving it from a specific .ipt in the assembly.

-Tim U.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report