Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASSEMBLY / FRAME GENERATORCLEANP

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
anthonyzepeda1969
401 Views, 11 Replies

ASSEMBLY / FRAME GENERATORCLEANP

Is there a way to cleanup your assembles that you create and create with Frame Generator? Delete from your hard drive conceptual files that are no longer being used. From Explorer how would I know if a file is not being used by Inventor? 

Does Inventor remove from your hard drive members you delete using the "Delete with Frame Generator" option? seems to leave old parts in the Frame folder.

I am a single user and not using Vault. 

Thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

There isn't a way, it's like any part that you don't use. 

A laborious way is to move them all to a different folder, open the assembly, relink the parts by dragging them back into the folder one by one as it asks for them and then delete what's left.

As for parts that are dumped when you change the size of a member, there is now an option to write over the old file, so there is that.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 12

Write over, Really? I have not seen that option. I'm on 2022 with latest updates. 

Message 4 of 12

Where do you think it would be?

In the frame generator dialogue with all the other settings?

Wrong! Took me 20 minutes to find this. 

It's in application options, under file and naming defaults. 

jameswillo_0-1630525213484.png

Expert Elite
Message 5 of 12

why? geez. 

Why wouldn't it be in the same dialogue box that you use to replace the members or when attaching to a new line.

thank you for this I will give this a try. 

Guess at some point I will need to go through and one file a t a time weed out the old. 

Message 6 of 12

If you use vault you can just check it in. Delete the folder on your local
drive and get a fresh copy. Assuming you haven't previously checked in the
files you no longer use.
  Expert Elite
Message 7 of 12

Well I am currently not using vault.

so I do not check in or out anything. 

Message 8 of 12

@SharkDesign that is a great find - hadn't seen it!

@anthonyzepeda1969 outside of using vault, you can pack and go the assembly then remove the original folders. Not exactly convenient but I guess it depends how indecisive you are as to how big the problem is 😉 

Use iLogic Copy? Please consider voting for this long overdue idea (not mine):https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/string-replace-for-ilogic-design-copy/idi-p/3821399
Message 9 of 12

Sounds like another good option.

Looks like I'm going to need to spend some time figuring out which way is best. 

Thanks 

Message 10 of 12

Good morning.

So I'm not very familiar with pack n go.

Pack the assembly.

Delete the folder that contains the assembly and all other parts, i.e sub assemblies, frame generator iam. and other ipt. files? 

Then unpack it and it should only contain files actually being used? 

Message 11 of 12

Maybe don't delete the originals just yet 😜

Expert Elite
Message 12 of 12

Right that's what I meant. Move the original folder and make sure everything is there first. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report