Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Templates

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
MikeKovacik4928
287 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor Templates

Hi all

Migrating completely to use Vault properly with more than 1 user, after only using the check in, check out functions only with one user (namely myself) for a period of 6 months.

Normally each Inventor user has his custom Inventor Templates stored using a "save copy as template" to the default template storage directory (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2021\Templates\en-US).

So in our case I will copy the company templates to a certain location in vault, and the user can then open it, in the normal manner and "save copy as template" to his  default template storage directory which should be the same ie
(C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2021\Templates\en-US).

Is this a good vault practice? What do all you other vault users do when you create a new template for use.  Any particular folder in Vault? I am just going to create a folder called "drawing office templates".

I have posted this to the Vault Forum to see what responses I get there.

How do all you multiple users working in one drawing office handle the sharing of Inventor Templates,

especially with Vault. 

Michael Kovacik

Inventor 2021, Vault Pro 2021

South Africa

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Did we talk about this before?

What I did when using Vault.

Vault can be setup to match local folders.

I put everything in one folder ie Workspace.

Template, Design Data and Content Center are in there.

Everything a user need before they start modeling.

I put projects I'm work on in there also.

Setup Project to use that folder with Template, DD, CC in there.

Check everything in that folder into Vault.

It doesn't need any of your 

Check everything in the folder into Vault.

All users and new install will use that Vault Project file and Get everything into local drive.

From there Vault will keep everyone in sync.

Admin should Check Out or lock those files so user cannot edit.  User might need to edit some CC files.

Admin can edit template and Check it in.  User will get update from Vault.

It will not update old files created with "old" template.

Message 3 of 4
CGBenner
in reply to: MikeKovacik4928

@MikeKovacik4928 

What I used to do as Vault admin:

Templates were created in the default folder that is set up in Inventor, and then checked into Vault.  Users can then "Get" the template files from Vault CLient, which will create a local copy for them in the correct location.  I would not use "Save Copy as", unless you don't mind individual users creating or modifying their own versions.  

This method gives you control over changes to the templates.  The downside is that every time YOU make a change, your users will have to refresh their local copies to get your changes, or delete the local copy and do another "Get" from the Vault.  You would also have to make sure your users were nat making changes to the template and checking then in over the top of yours.  This worked for me because it was just two of us.  If you have several users, this might be a bit too loosely managed.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 4 of 4

My templates are on a network drive and not in Vault. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report