Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area of loop

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jjstr8
712 Views, 13 Replies

Area of loop

Is there any way to directly measure the area of a loop on a part?  Inventor (2019) just reports the total length.  I'd like to avoid doing a temporary extrusion just to get a face to measure area.  It's a planar closed loop, so I think should be easy for Inventor.  I feel like this was possible before the "one size fits all" measure tool.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: jjstr8

And which version of Inventor are you using?  In Inventor 2023, while editing the sketch, right click in the  and choose Region Properties, then select the closed loop of interest.  You'll get area and much more.

Region Properties is also in the Inspect ribbon > Measure panel.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 3 of 14
Lucas.dolinarVFXZU

As mentioned: Region properties. (easiest)

Another option might be a Boundry patch (wich can be adaptive and doesnt need to be temporary)

Message 4 of 14
jjstr8
in reply to: SBix26

As I mentioned in my post, I'm on version 2019. In order to use the Region Properties, I would still have to temporarily create a sketch. I was wondering if there was a direct way to measure the area.
Message 5 of 14
jjstr8
in reply to: Lucas.dolinarVFXZU

Honestly, the Boundary Patch is the easiest and cleanest way. I'm not accepting either as solution since neither is a direct measurement, but thank you for the reply.
Message 6 of 14
JDMather

@jjstr8 wrote:
I would still have to temporarily create a sketch.

I don't understand this statement.

Can you Attach a *.ipt that illustrates the issue?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 14
jjstr8
in reply to: JDMather

Say you have a plate with a rectangular cutout that you then fillet the corners. You'd have to project the result in a sketch to use the Region Properties.
Message 8 of 14
JDMather

@jjstr8 wrote:
Say you have a ...

No file Attached?

JDMather_0-1656107837345.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 14
JDMather

@jjstr8 wrote:

Is there any way to directly measure the area of a loop on a part?  ...just to get a face to measure area. 

Maybe I misunderstood the question.

Is it about area of Loop or area of Face?

A *.ipt file might have helped illustrate the issue.

Message 10 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! On 2023, the Measure command can measure distance, angle, body face area, and loop length. Right-click on the measure target -> Select Other -> select the exact geometry. Please share the example part here to facilitate the discussion.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 14
jjstr8

I thought my example description was straightforward, but here's a part file.  I created a boundary patch as @Lucas.dolinarVFXZU suggested to show the loop that I want to measure the area.

Message 12 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the file! As JD indicated earlier, you can measure the area of the surface. Is this what you were looking for?

Area.png

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 14
pcrawley

I could be wrong, but is question: How to measure the area of a void?

In the sample model there is a boundary patch, and that is easy to measure - as is a temporary extrusion and all the other suggestions. If the area to measure is open space, there is no way to measure its open area.

1.jpg

You can measure the loop easily enough - but you don't get the area unless there is something there to measure.

@jjstr8 - Would you accept "No - you can't measure a void" as an answer? 😋

Peter
Message 14 of 14
jjstr8
in reply to: pcrawley

Thank you for the reply. "No" is certainly an acceptable answer. And thank you for understanding that the Boundary Patch is there just to highlight the loop area I'm interested in measuring.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report