Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying frame member end treatments to intersecting members?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Kerry.McInnes
530 Views, 12 Replies

Applying frame member end treatments to intersecting members?

just wondering if anyone knows of a way to apply end treatments to interesting members like the capture I attached? Notch doesn't

Capture.PNG

work because it cant differentiate between the 2 intersections of the member, so the only way I know of to do it now is to go down to the part level and extrude a cut feature which is very time consuming. Thanks 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
leowarren34
in reply to: Kerry.McInnes

Hi @Kerry.McInnes,

Can you upload your file and I (or someone else) will take a look?

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 3 of 13
Kerry.McInnes
in reply to: leowarren34

This is a sample of the return bends I encounter a lot with handrails. Im not sure if IO need to attach all the assembly files or not, hopefully I uploaded the files correctly 

Message 4 of 13
Kerry.McInnes
in reply to: leowarren34

Hopefully this file works for you

Message 5 of 13
CGBenner

@Kerry.McInnes 

The best way to get an assembly and all of the needed files like this, is with Pack & Go, under Files\Save As.  Send it to a Zip file and then on our end we should have everything we need to look at your assembly.  Thanks!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 6 of 13
Kerry.McInnes
in reply to: CGBenner

Thanks. Try this one

Message 7 of 13
CGBenner

@Kerry.McInnes 

Ok,... I have your file open, so here is the next big question.  What is the desired end result?  You want to apply end treatments.  Which end treatments, and to which piece?  Do you want the vertical piece to remain intact, and cut the horizontal pipe around it?... or vice versa?

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 8 of 13
Kerry.McInnes

Thats where Im running into the issue. This is just a sample standard return bend on a handrail which I do alot of, I would like to be able to apply a notch on the vertical posts to fit around the top rail, I would also like to apply a notch on the return bend where it comes into contact with the posts. Everytime I apply the notch end treatment, it cant differentiate between the 2 intersections. The only way ive found to do this so far is to go to the part file and do extrude cuts but in larger assemblies it i very time consuming. 

Message 9 of 13
CGBenner

@Kerry.McInnes 

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  I can see what you are running into.  If I change the design just a bit so that the two horizontal rails inside of the vertical rails are separate pieces, and the end rounds are separate,... the notches seem to work much better.

CGBenner_0-1600876031053.png

Chris Benner

Message 10 of 13
Kerry.McInnes

Yeah, I know I could do that but from a fabrication stand point it make more sense to leave it as one piece. I guess theres really no good way to do it within the frame generator tools themselves. Thanks for your help

Message 11 of 13
cadman777

Kerry,

I'm curious why you would not make the mid rail on the RH side of the post a separate part?
I've done plenty of railings over the years and even when the guys used benders and not elbows on the p-returns, they wanted the correct lengths at the termination points. That means the top rail would be one part up to where it terminates into the post on the LH side.

Is there some kind of machine that bends the whole length of the pipe run and you guys cut it afterwards?

Just curious is all ...

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 12 of 13
Kerry.McInnes
in reply to: cadman777

We usually notch the pipe before we even bend it. Less welding, but we have it down pretty good. There are instances though where the top run is too long and we have to join 2 pieces together, but if we can we will make them with with less welds. It also takes more time removing weld and polishing for profiling the pipe to its original condition. 

Message 13 of 13
cadman777

I hear ya. I did work for stainless platforms and railings, and they were very picky about how the drawings looked to reduce shop-work.

Back to the coping ... Considering that the post is usually the same OD or larger OD than the mid railing, then when you notch the pipe, you really have a cut-off situation, b/c notching is irrelevant on same OD pipes. IOW, your notch OD will cut the pipe into 2 pieces under any circumstances. So why not show the two pieces as 2 separate parts? Check out the attached simple dataset.

What I typically do when using 1 1/2" pipe is, cut the pipe back 1/2" from the c.l. of the perpendicular pipe, and then notch based on that c.l. (got that tip from someone in here a long time ago). That saves material as well as time grinding on the coped edge (most of the fabricators I know use hole saws or similar to make circular notches) as well as makes the weld cleaner. So you end up getting the correct length as well as a nice cope. Different story if you CNC cut all pipes. They can miter the coped edge as part of the CNC process. Saves grinding and makes a nice clean weld prep. But then you have to make all your part end treatments totally correct, or else you're back to the manual weld prep in the shop.

The only thing Inventor can't do (which it SHOULD do) is cope the edge like it's flattenable sheetmetal: normal to the OD surface (as weld prep). See attached example (it's 1 1/4" pipe instead of 1 1/2"). B/c Inventor doesn't do that, it forces me to make a derived part to make a WrapPattern of the end treatment, which the shops want when the connections are at non-perpendicular angles (like stairs railings), or for CNC cutting/prep. See attached part file. I haven't found any easy and simple way to do this using the FrameGenerator. Railings is about the only thing I use the FG for, b/c it's so limited in functionality.

Incidentally, I NEVER use 'Merge' on FG parts, for the reason you discovered. Like I said, it's VERY limited in BASIC functionality. Apparently, it still is.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report