Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ambiguous Bend Definition

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Bert_Bimmel
265 Views, 5 Replies

Ambiguous Bend Definition

May anyone open the attached SheetMetalPart and try to change the extent of the latch inside the expanded dialog box as shown below, and see what happpens...

Bert_Bimmel_0-1662617967127.png

I know what's wrong here. My question to Autodesk is: "What were you thinking???"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

What is it you wan't to say. I don't get it. It works the way it's intent to be right?

Message 3 of 6
-niels-
in reply to: Bert_Bimmel

At first it didn't change for me, then i deleted your selected edge and reselected it after which it worked as expected.

I'd love to hear your explanation on how you got it in that state if you know how to reproduce it.
It seems easy enough to fix, but it would be nice to know how to avoid altogether.
(Not that i've ever had this happen to me, as far as i can remember.)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 6
Bert_Bimmel
in reply to: -niels-

The point is: There are two different ways to access this flange-feature-option - either via expanded dialog box, or via icon hovering on the selected edge, leading to an independent option-dialog - and apparently they do not refer to the same object. When you activate both, you have two differnt objects for the same option, which might even contradict each other, and the latter (with the independent dialogbox) having priority, i.e. overriding the first one. This makes no sense at all and causes nothing but confusion when trying to change a part that somenone else might have drawn, and he has used the other approach than you do.

Once you have been sensitized to this issue, it's easy to solve, but it took me a while to figure this out, and it's simply moronic.

Bert_Bimmel_0-1662621698986.png

Message 5 of 6
-niels-
in reply to: Bert_Bimmel

@Bert_Bimmel Aah, a local override... yeah, i didnt see that was done until you told me.

For a single edge it would be a "moronic" workflow, but if you want to do something like this:

niels_0-1662622404372.png

It can work really nice, especially when you have more complex shapes to add edges to.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 6
Bert_Bimmel
in reply to: -niels-

Ok, THAT was Autodesk thinking. Never occured to me that I felt the urge to locally override it. In such a case I would have simply created multiple flange features. In your picture I would almost admit that the visual presentation is halfways intuitive, but if there's only one edge, and you're not aware of this option you might be stuck for a while.

Thanx for enlightening me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report