Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add features to parent part but not to mirrored part.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hamzabuttX6GV8
300 Views, 4 Replies

Add features to parent part but not to mirrored part.

Hi, Is there a way to add some features (e.g. holes) that are exclusive to the parent part and those features do not appear on the mirrored part? I don't want to break link of mirrored part to parent part because assembly is controlled through ilogic. When the overall size of the parent part changes, the mirrored part size changes as well so I can't break link.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi

If you use the Derive tool, you can create one more derived component and perform further operations on it.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 5

Hi! There isn't a workflow to do selectively associative on a per feature basis. I think using Delete Face -> Heal workflow in the mirrored part may help remove those features carried over from the parent.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
IgorMir
in reply to: hamzabuttX6GV8

iParts work very well for this case scenario.

Cheers,

Igor.

@hamzabuttX6GV8 wrote:

Hi, Is there a way to add some features (e.g. holes) that are exclusive to the parent part and those features do not appear on the mirrored part? I don't want to break link of mirrored part to parent part because assembly is controlled through ilogic. When the overall size of the parent part changes, the mirrored part size changes as well so I can't break link.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: IgorMir

Hi! Igor got an interesting idea. I would add on to that, Model States (2022 and later) may work for this case also. You will need to create a new Model State in the source part so that the part can have the additional features suppressed. Then derive the the particular Model State to a part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report