Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add box around text in a dimension

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ethan_howardMMXXIV
279 Views, 4 Replies

Add box around text in a dimension

How do you add text around particular text in a dimension? I want to note that this dimension is taken at the .125" basic dimension. I notice that in the "Format Text" menu, the "Text Box" is grayed out.

ethanhowardMMXXII_0-1669658758315.pngethanhowardMMXXII_1-1669658789914.png

ethanhowardMMXXII_3-1669658963414.png

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
64-Bit Edition
Build: 271, Release: 2023.2 - Date: Mon 10/31/2022

Autodesk Vault Professional 2023
Build 28.2.80.0
2023.2 Update
Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Yes, I'm not crazy about that either. However, I'm guessing they don't want to interfere with ANSI Y14.5 & Y14.2 standards (and let you put "just anything" in there-like a smiley-face, for example). In other words, it seems like they want to restrict you to those official annotation practices. (And a box around a dimension means that it's a "Basic" or "Nominal" dimension).

Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the replay. This is for clarity. The molder will be using the 3D model, so maybe it's over-clarifying the feature. Yet, it would be good to know how to do this, if at all possible.
Message 4 of 5

For something like that, I'll usually point a leader at that DIM since the leader command lets you add that box (and you can even add that DIM to the leader parametrically and put the box around it in there); just a thought. It's kinda crappy, but at least it stays linked to the real parameter in that dimension.
Message 5 of 5

For now, I just will use a sketch until someone has an answer. I really appreciate the help!
I'm fairly sure someone here at work has done this, but they're out of the office right now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report