Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Adaptive work planes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
688 Views, 5 Replies

Adaptive work planes

Sometimes I find it necessary to edit a part 'in-place' within an assembly. I can then select workplanes defined in other parts in that assembly to define features in the part being edited. Whenever I edit the features in the original parts the adaptive part does not stay associative (i.e., I have to redefine the 'adaptive' work planes)... The work planes are checked as 'adaptive' and they display that 'adaptive' icon next to them however they don't update. This isn't always the case and I can't figure out when to use adaptivity and when not to (I usually derive parts to share work planes but this only works when they share the same origin..)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, Please Do NOT set the referenced source workplane as adaptive, just create the feature directly reference to cross part workplane and the adaptive is established automatically for the current part. see image below and hope it helps a little bit.

Untitled.png

Xun
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Hello, thanks for the reply to my problem. In my assembly I don't see the name of the source part in parantheses next to the workplane similar to your picture

Message 4 of 6
JoyceZhou

Hi,

This is new enhancement in R2017.

Which version are you using?

Thanks,

Joyce-Jinghua Zhou

Inventor QA Engineer
Message 5 of 6
Xun.Zhang

Try workflow below and have a simple way to understand it.

Steps:

1. Create a part say part1.ipt, create a box in it, create a workplane reference to any face from box and give a offset value,i.e 1mm, save it, close file.

2. Create another part say part2.ipt, save it, close file.

3. Create an assembly and place part1 and part 2 in

4. Edit part 2 in assembly environment and create a sketch, i.e a circle, select the workplane from part 1 directly, finish

5. make an extrusion and go back to top assembly

you will see the same result as above image, please let me know if i can help more.

Xun
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JoyceZhou

@JoyceZhou wrote:

Hi,

This is new enhancement in R2017.

Which version are you using?

Thanks,

I'm using 2015 which would explain that one. I know how to create adaptive work planes and features that will update with other parts. Sometimes I lose that connectivity after the fact and I am trying to understand Inventor a little better as to why that would happen. I also noticed that parts that are derived into other parts don't offer adaptivity. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report