Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Sketch to solid

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
karl.zammit.18
677 Views, 7 Replies

3D Sketch to solid

Could anyone please explain how to Extrude/Emboss the 3D sketch onto the curved surface?

Screenshot 2021-04-22 185034.jpgScreenshot 2021-04-22 185247.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blandb
in reply to: karl.zammit.18

Can you attach your part?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 8
karl.zammit.18
in reply to: blandb

Here you go

Message 4 of 8
blandb
in reply to: karl.zammit.18

Is this what you are trying to do??

ROOF.jpg

Message 5 of 8
karl.zammit.18

Thank you so much. I have never used the Split function before

Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Karl,

On top of what Brad already mentioned, you may want to consider using Ruled Surface. It can help you protrude edges as a surface in any direction. Then you can stitch or sculpt the surfaces into a solid.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
blandb
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue 

Are you referring to running the ruled surface after the split on the split edges? If so, I thought that is essentially what the thicken command was doing. Keeping all edges normal to the surface? The only thing I did have to do different was uncheck automatic blending, or else the thicken failed. So I guess to keep that from happening the ruled surface and sculpt would be the way to go?

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Brad,

There is difference between Ruled Surface and Thicken. Though they may yield same result in some cases (in normal direction), they are using two different algorithms. Ruled Surface is to protrude an edge in any direction more like Sweep (not just normal), Thicken only goes in normal direction. In general, Ruled Surface is more versatile than Thicken.

Thicken with Auto-Blending on is more like Direct Edit -> Move. It is a way to move the selected face in the normal direction and re-intersect the adjacent faces. This process is also different than the traditional offset-like thicken.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report