Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Spline error when inserting frame

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
595 Views, 13 Replies

2D Spline error when inserting frame

I'm trying to insert a custom frame armature around a 2D spline using insert frame. I've projected cut edges then connected points with a 2D spline in order to keep one continuous bending frame around the part. The problem is that I keep getting errors about self intersecting geometry. I've tried it quite a few different ways and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't I'm wondering if I'm approaching this problem the worng way. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2d Spline.pngError Message.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Is there more information needed or anything? I'd really like to solve this problem. But, I don't have a ton of experience with custom frames and splines. If theres a better way to get a complete 2D sketch loop on this profile I'd be willing to try that as well.

Message 3 of 14
Roelof.Feijen

Can your share your model?

Tell us. Why Frame Generator?

What type of profile do you pick?

Honestly, I have never build a Frame Member on a spline.

Normally Frame Member are straight and sometimes they are bended slightly.

Wouldn't it be something to use a sketch profile and Sweep that along the path (Spline)?

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

That would work for the model but the reason for me not going that route is that I want lengths of members to be generated in layout view for engineering and purchasing
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

The custom frame was a simple half round geometry, nothing complex. Is there any way to generate lengths from sweeps for parts lists by chance? And sorry I'm not able to share the model at this time as its not my property, as inconvenient as that is.
Message 6 of 14
blair

Can you try placing a small "gap" in your path. I've done "rolled rings" before with Frame Gen and always had to have a small gap. Possibly when you "authored" your profile shape for Frame-Gen to use, you set a minimum length that is greater than one of your segment lengths.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 14
Roelof.Feijen

Can you also not share the spline with us.

Just create a new part. Derive the sketch.

No one will know what it is about.

The error message tells us there is a problem (self intersecting geometry) building the sweep.

What version of Inventor are you using?

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Sorry for the delay was out of town this weekend.

I've tried leaving a small gap in the path and have had no success, however the minimum length parameter is something I may have overlooked as I have gotten a different member to generate this time, I thought I had tried that already but I may not have on this particular spline.

where am I able to go to view and edit that parameter?

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Roelof.Feijen

I've added the derived sketch, didn't think of doing that sorry.

I am using inventor 2017 pro at the moment.

Message 10 of 14
Roelof.Feijen

It depends on the type of profile you are using as you can see from my screencast.

What ANSI profile did you select?

Roelof Feijen

Message 11 of 14
Roelof.Feijen

The problem is a combination of your profile and a too small radius in your spline.

Video below explains what happens when frame generator complains about self intersecting results.

Roelof Feijen

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Ahh that would make sense as to why some frames work and others don't. As much as you've helped and I really do appreciate it I've got one more question.

Is there an easy way to increase arcs on a spline like this one rather then manually changing every one manually?

Message 13 of 14
Roelof.Feijen

I am unable to make a screencast with the derived part, but ...

Right mouse click on a control point of your spline. 

Select Activate handle.

Use the handle to control your spline. 

Hope this helps.

Roelof Feijen

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Hoping there was an easier selection in spline selection or settings to only allow minimums on radius's but this solves the problem all the same.

I appreciate all your time, saved me quite a few headaches.

Thanks again

Taylor,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report