Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Autodesk installer - it has.. quirks and it is affecting multiple of our business environments

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sebastiaan_wildenbergG6CYD
387 Views, 4 Replies

The Autodesk installer - it has.. quirks and it is affecting multiple of our business environments

Hi all,

This is somewhat of a rant topic, but there are also clearly some issues with the installer and it has made everything more difficult to properly distribute the deployments to our customers' machines. I want to at least leave some  feedback, because I see the same issues that are in '22 return in '23 and '24 and I figured, if no one has found out those issues by now, someone should probably mention something.

I'm a senior packager, been doing this for 15 years. I have repackaged many Autodesk applications and the issues we experience have gotten progressively worse, the more automation Autodesk builds into their installers. I am posting this on one of my corporate client accounts.

Let's start with a few potential rebuttals:

- All machines we use for our activities are 'clean' W10 machines.

- The clean machines have a baseline customer configuration, so each customer provides their own machines and we share issues across all of them. 

Hence, the issue does not seem to be with the platforms themselves.

1. Let's start with the first, most significant issue with the installer. It always returns error code 0.

Occasionally, a forced windows security update interferes with the Autodesk installation and one component fails installation. The installation then return to the user, that components have not been installed and the user should contact their administrators, however, it reports error code 0 upon closing the installer. This occurs across a large amount of error messages and only seems to report an accurate exit code in rare cases. We have tested this by explicitly monitoring the exit codes and the logging may show MSI Error 1603, but the installer still returns 0.

This is a significant problem and unless this is deliberate and can be manually manipulated, seems to be a major programming mistake. It leads to our systems seeing Error code 0, which results in a successful installation, while the user may have any number of missing applications or components.

2. Only with the logging tool, is it at all possible to get a coherent summary of the installation(s) that failed. We would like to use the logging tool within our applications to create a custom script to verify the actual installation status, but we cannot, because the logging tool does not seem to have parameters to run silently and to modify an output directory, etc. I'm sure one could imagine many more reasonable and useful parameters that could be given here.

3. The "silent" install never finishes installing. I have had to defer to UI installs for our customers for all products, although it mostly seems to affect multi-part installers, such as Civil3D, Revit, Map3D, etc. I am assuming it pushes a request for reboot to the user 'under the hood', but since the installation is silent, the user is never going to see it. This results in installers just endlessly waiting for input.

Edit: I forgot to mention, due to the fact that a UI installation allows the user to CANCEL the installation, its twice ironic that the installer still returns error code 0! (See (1.))

4. The (Autodesk automatically generated) uninstallers try to uninstall the Autodesk Genuine Service. So when I try to run the Uninstall command taken from the commandline-file provided by Autodesk, it will try to uninstall the Genuine Service and our users are then presented with a beautiful warning that their own IT department is trying to install malicious software on their computers. I am paraphrasing, but you catch my drift.

I have had to be creative and I've been using C:\Programdata\Autodesk\Uninstallers to get around the issue, by manually manipulating each individual bundle_data.xml file.

5. Several Autodesk applications (ab)use the %allusersprofile% for templates and it's unclear to me why this would be the case. Going forward in the future, These paths are automatically blocked by security systems, so I would recommend not using them.

I currently spend about 25 hours per deployment, to be able to properly deliver a package to the end user. Obviously if  the deployment only contains AutoCAD, it's slightly faster, though we uninstall previous versions of packages through the baseline package of the new version (AutoCAD), so it's still a lot of work, but I feel many of the issues we are facing, are caused by the Autodesk installer and absolutely require fixing. I'm incredibly surprised that no one has found out about these problems over the course of several years, so internally I'm hoping I'm a complete idiot, but we have had official Autodesk partners and vendors look at our issues, without solution. 

Please fix these problems with the installer and help us out.

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Search the forum and you'll notice several users, including me, having the same experiences with the ODIS installer. In short - it's a pain.

I've seen all the things you mentioned. You forgot one important one - there's no longer a 'repair' option. So if there's  a problem, the default solution now is to do a clean uninstall / reinstall. Whoopee!

I guess Autodesk had good reasons to develop their own installer and according to the blog, it's faster, better and more reliable. If you click the link for a recap of how we got here and how we make decisions, you'll be directed to the learning page, so it looks like Autodesk doesn't really want you to know what the big idea is. Do a bit of searching and  you'll find it hereAnyway, the idea might be okay; the execution leaves to be desired, to say is mildly.

Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your reply. It is true. I forgot to mention that there is no repair functionality anymore and this is definitely a problem. However, it's currently the least of my worries. Do you want me to add it to the list?

Oh and I forget, it means the world to me to get some confirmation of these issues, because I really felt like a crazy person the past year.

Message 4 of 5

However, it's currently the least of my worries.

Trust me - it will be 🙂 Installation is a pain, but uninstalling can quickly turn into an even bigger pain....

Message 5 of 5

Oh absolutely, it already is. Uninstalling is currently neigh impossible. That's separate from repair though. I need repairs in a few rare cases, but I need uninstall for ALL my deployments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report