Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2023 update 1.2 troubles

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Simon_Weel
1950 Views, 13 Replies

Revit 2023 update 1.2 troubles

The never ending story. I've posted before about failed installations of updates. Revit 2023 update 1.2 is no exception. Since this is a recurring thing, I decided to get to the bottom of the problem. The installation starts off with the message "Product not installed". Which is weird - Revit _is_ installed. The release notes mention a "Autodesk Revit 2023 Install Cleanup Utility" so lets give that a try. It does remove most of Revit 2023, not everything and not the stuff installed alongside. Reinstalled Revit 2023. Finishes with an error. Ran the installer again. And again, until it finished without errors or warnings.

Then tried to install update 1.2 and again it displays "Product not installed". Started digging out the log files, but there's nothing there of any help. The update package is unpacked in %LocalAppaData%\temp\Revit_2023_1_2 (you can also unpack the update file with something like 7Zip) so I had a look there. Lets see what setup.xml is about. There's a section <conditions> which looks like it's throwing the "Product not found" error, so I removed that part and ran Setup.exe This time, the installer didn't fail immediately but showed an 'Install update' button. After clicking, it started grinding away and then a 'browse for file' dialog popped up, looking for 'FormIt360Converter.msi'. It was looking in a folder used by update 1.0 which I had removed - updates are cumulative, right? Specifying a different location holding the file didn't work - it didn't like that version. So I clicked Cancel and went back to setup.xml; removed the <package> section holding FormItConverter and ran Setup again. It took it's time but it installed without problems.

To wrap it up - if the installer nags about 'product not installed' it doesn't necessarily mean Revit is not installed; it could be any part. And it's up to you to find out what is missing.

And the uninstaller does a crappy job by not removing all them other stuf installed alongside Revit.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Thanos603
in reply to: Simon_Weel

To clarify, the Autodesk Revit 2023 Install Cleanup Utility mentioned in the Revit 2023.1.2 release notes is intended to assist users that encounter the “Could not access network location Revit 2023” message or "Autodesk Revit 2023 is already installed" message.  It is specifically designed to remove the components and registry keys that are the root of these two messages.  This utility is not intended to resolve a "product not installed" message and its use in this scenario may have left your Revit installation in a bad state.  At this point, I would recommend full uninstalling and reinstalling Revit 2023 to ensure a clean installation.

I would also recommend ensuring that your original Revit 2023 full installer is the slipstream, version 23.0.11.19, and not the original release, version 23.0.1.318.  This is based on internal testing that shows that majority, if not all, uninstall/reinstall issues are related to the original release of Revit 2023 and are not reproducible with the slipstream version.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Delivery Engineer

Anthony Michniewicz
Principal QA Analyst
Message 3 of 14
r.capper
in reply to: Thanos603

It would be better if updates were packaged so are not dependent on the original C:\Autodesk... installers being present as have hit that barrier. User or whoever has cleared them out to free up c: disk space.

Robin Capper
Design Systems Manager
LDE Ltd
Message 4 of 14
ddriver

@Thanos603, Hi Tony.
I would like to mirror Robin's sentiments.
I routinely clean out the Autodesk (and now, downloads autodesk)
Also trying to get to the bottom of this same issue, now on 20 computers imaged from one 2023.1.1 install>mine, so everyone one of them is looking for an MSI along a path 
...<MyUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\Revit_2023_1_2\x64\FormIt\FormIt360Converter.msi
which does not exist since my user was deleted before the image was made/cloned.
including now on my own computer which was also set up from that clone. but since my original 
I did try installing formitPro23 to see if that would tweak my registry this evening

It is very interesting that the revit 2023.1.3 update has an msi that it unzips, then it cannot use.
Also the uninstall routine or 2023 also appears to fail on the same msi . however the uninstall while requesting, that file was successful on canceling the request for it
Can niether install nor uninstall,

Message 5 of 14
Thanos603
in reply to: ddriver

We are investigating reports of unexpected FormIt360Converter.msi prompts during installation of the recent Revit 2023 and 2024 updates.  To date we have not been able to reproduce this issue and are looking to obtain log files from impacted customers to assist in our troubleshooting efforts.  It would be much appreciated if you could use the Install Log Collection tool, available here, and post the resulting zip file.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Delivery Team

Anthony Michniewicz
Principal QA Analyst
Message 6 of 14
ddriver

Tony,
I just did uninstall and reinstall from clean deploy on mine, went OK.
I will grab the log collection tool to work with my other users, 
Thanks

Message 7 of 14
ddriver

Keeping my comments in this thread while monitoring " Problems installing Revit 2024 update 1 - Autodesk Community - Subscription, Installation and Licens...
I thought my install noted in the last message had gone ok
When I looked at build number it was 2023.0.11.19 even though it was installed through a deployment created in early June set to install 2023.1.2
Went to install update. Update fails on Formit360converter.msi
Last night: Uninstalled Revit and extensions. 
I have Revit 2024.1 installed and Formit for Revit 2023 installed did not uninstall either.
Installed from web install Revit (no choice as to version). Installs the same 2023.0.11.19
Install notified me:
Installation incomplete
Some components did not install successfully, but basic Revit 2023 functions are available.
To fix this, you can:
Restart your computer and try installing Revit 2023 again Contact support for assistance

Restarted, tried installing Revit 2023 again. Received "already installed"
Attempted to do 2023.1.2 update. Got formit360converter.msi message again looking for C:\Users\ddriver\AppData\Local\Temp\Revit_2023_1_1\x64\FormIt\
pointed to all formit360converter.msi file locations on my computer, none work. 
I did find this path in my registry as 
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\FF5EDC4656A73384991173E49A646CF8\SourceList: Last Used Source n;1;C:\Users\ddriver\AppData\Local\Temp\Revit_2023_1_1\x64\FormIt\
Which of course is NOT there...
after roll back of install, fails with 1603 error

I may try all the MSI reinstalls located in the link above if I have time this evening.
FYI I did install latest Autodesk Identity Manager. (ms apps reports version1.10.4.0), so I may uninstall that as well as it also seems to be causing errors.
Attached are the log reporter zips from last night as well as this morning.

Message 8 of 14
Simon_Weel

I managed to remedy the problem for Revit 2024 with the Microsoft Troubleshooter. In my case this listed the offending formit360converter and was able to remove it. After that, update installed fine.

Message 9 of 14
Thanos603

After reviewing the ODIS Summary.log file, I see that during your last attempt to reinstall Revit 2023, the FormIt component failed to install because a newer version of FormIt Converter for Revit 2023 is already installed.  To date, we have released four newer versions of FormIt for Revit 2023 than the version included in the slipstream Revit 2023 full installer:

• 23.0.20.21 was included in the 2023.0.2 Hotfix and can be uninstalled using MsiExec.exe /X{64CDE5FF-7A65-4833-9906-374EA946C68F}
  • 23.1.1.24 was included in the 2023.1.0 Update and can be uninstalled using MsiExec.exe /X{64CDE5FF-7A65-4833-9911-374EA946C68F}
  • 23.1.10.4 was included in the 2023.1.1 Update and can be uninstalled using MsiExec.exe /X{64CDE5FF-7A65-4833-9911-374EA946C68F}
  • 23.1.20.70 was included in the 2023.1.2 Update and can be uninstalled using MsiExec.exe /X{64CDE5FF-7A65-4833-9912-374EA946C68F}

Since the FormIt install is quite short, I would recommend running each of these uninstall string at a command prompt and select Yes when prompted "Are you sure you want to uninstall this product?"  If that version of FormIt is not installed, you should receive a message stating "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed".  Once you run the uninstall string for the FormIt version that is still installed, the uninstall process should begin after click Yes to confirm the uninstall.

If none of these uninstall string work, the next suggestion would be to use the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter, https://download.microsoft.com/download/7/E/9/7E9188C0-2511-4B01-8B4E-0A641EC2F600/MicrosoftProgram_... to uninstall whichever version of FormIt remains.  Once the existing version of FormIt has been uninstalled, you should be able to install the latest version by running the 2023.1.2 Update.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Delivery Team

Anthony Michniewicz
Principal QA Analyst
Message 10 of 14
ddriver

Finally back on this (sad to be fixing things on Saturday, but it is 100 degrees outside already at 11:00 a).

23.1.1.24 ...2023.1.0 Update ...{64CDE5FF-7A65-4833-9911-374EA946C68F}

23.1.10.4 ...2023.1.1 Update ....{64CDE5FF-7A65-4833-9911-374EA946C68F}
These are the same GUID yes? Intentional?
Item 1 and 4 produced the same... only valid on installed products
items 2 and three produce the same. failure on request to point to the location of an MSI file that is not on my computer.
Doing the microsoft trouble shooter and will respond directly to the support case ticket originally submitted (once I find it, the link above and in my ticket throw 404 errors

Message 11 of 14
ddriver

OK 23.1.2 finally installed. Thanks to all who have helped here:  Adsk support, @Thanos603@Simon_Weel 
I finally got this all straightened out.  For others who follow. (some of the links in these threads give 404 errors)
1) ODIS Log tool is here: How to Use the Installation Log Collection Tool (autodesk.com). This has no big "dowload here button, just look under step 1.
I did ignore the last line on that page... Provide the zip file to the Autodesk Support agent ... I am only a weekend install tech support warrior, so did not get very far with that.
2) For those unfamiliar with msiexec: you can find all the syntax and switches here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/msiexec
The command I ended up using was: 
MsiExec.exe /x {Insert-GUID-string here} /l*v "C:\somewhereIcanFindIT\msi1.log" (thanks Simon)

but really that did not really address anything.
3) MS uninstall troubleshooter... new to me. I had already tried the built in Windows 11 troubleshooting which did nothing. So I downloaded the separate windows 8-10 version here:
Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed - Microsoft Support
once downloaded and run will tell you it is being depreciated, so may not be available after a while. and to use the windows 11 troubleshooter..
This did work, so here's to not following directions.
Once again thanks!

Message 12 of 14
Rusty_Gesner
in reply to: Thanos603

I've been unable to install the Revit 2023.1.3 Update.
I did a clean uninstall of 2023 including uninstalling all 2023 components from Control Panel > Programs and Features, restarted, removed remnants with the Microsoft tool, restarted, installed 2023.1.2 OK, restarted, and tried the 2023.1.3 update again, and it failed due to the Formit Converter. 
Attached are logs from last two attempts. 
On another computer, a failed 2023.1.3 Update attempt and rollback uninstalled Revit 2023 itself

Message 13 of 14
Simon_Weel
in reply to: Rusty_Gesner

Same here. Formitconverter again. I decided to skip installation at all. Unpack the update file. Modify setup.xml and remove line

<Package installAs="core" name="FORMIT" external="true" path="x64/FormIt/pkg.FormItConverter.xml" upi2="{21E8D47B-FCDE-4F07-8EDC-5240B5C603AC}" upgradeCode="{32B7EDEB-4BE8-3901-97DC-F019F13A6F27}"

Then run Setup.exe and it installs without problems.

Message 14 of 14
ddriver

Thanks Simon.
Tangentially I uninstalled Revit 2023 hoping to solve Forma load issue, but that did not go.
my reinstall did just fine. even though my deployment was changed to install the 2023.1.3, it only installed the 2023.0. something. and I was dreading the whole process outlined in this chat.
However Autodesk Access did manage to update to 2023.1.3, so whatever I did in getting to 2023.1.2 worked for me.
I am going to go grab my install files for the record...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report