Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2022.0.1 hotfix failing to install

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
GaryOrrMBI
5316 Views, 14 Replies

Revit 2022.0.1 hotfix failing to install

I have tried two different methods to install Revit 2022.0.1 hotfix (Desktop app and direct download) using two different level of user rights (Power User and Admin) on two different Computers (my everyday workstation and my Dell Precision mobile workstation running an 8 core Zeon and otherwise fully loaded) = 8 different attempts. All have failed. It gets to a point where it's trying to unpack different sub components from a temp directory and can't find them... I have manually dug in and found the components that it can't find and pointed it to them, but the installs still fail...

It seems that the hotfix for Revit needs a hotfix...

Gary J. Orr
GaryOrrMBI (MBI Companies 2014-Current)
aka (past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-2014);
OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008);
Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005);
Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: GaryOrrMBI

Message 3 of 15
GaryOrrMBI
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks, but no.

It isn't looking for the original Revit installer package, it's looking for it's own downloaded files.

On one computer those files didn't even seem to have gotten downloaded (I searched all of the packages in the temp folder for the missing components), I ran the installer again under a different user and it reached the same point but the temp folder that it was looking for was in a folder under the other user account... and on the other computer it created temp folder "x" but was looking for temp folder "y"... even after pointing the dialog to the correct folder and contained file it failed.

Gary J. Orr
aka (past user names):
Message 4 of 15
m_latz

Have you any log files from the %temp% folder ?

This "hotfix" contains five different windows installer packages so it would be helpful to know at which point it run into trouble:

name="RVTSP1"
name="UNIT_SCHEMAS"
name="CLOUD_MODELS"
name="REX_FRAMEWORK"
name="REX_REVIT"
name="RESULTS_EXPLORER_MANAGER"

regards

Markus

Message 5 of 15
GaryOrrMBI
in reply to: m_latz

I was finally able to get a successful install on one machine under one configuration and that one is the only one that has any of the applicable log files (I don't currently have one of the computers available to me so I can't confirm that this is true in all of the test case scenarios that I started this post with.). The error that has been occurring is that it can't seem to find the place that it unpacks everything to so it doesn't have anywhere to place a log file (or so it seems to believe) on top of not being able to run any of the separate packages. 

The one that did finally succeed was the result of me catching the install right after it unpacked everything and storing the contents of the patch elsewhere, then running the exe directly. unfortunately this is not a working solution for the other 70 installs that will need to be performed.

Ironically, the one install that I did finally manage to complete has updated the Revit version to 2022.0.1, yet Autodesk Desktop App still lists the hotfix as needing to be installed.

GaryOrrMBI_0-1625245562998.png

Gary J. Orr
aka (past user names):
Message 6 of 15
GaryOrrMBI

However, just to be as thorough as possible, here are the log files from the one that did install (or enough to update the Revit About page). Probably won't help much because they were run from a different scenario than applying the hotfix as it's presented to us from Autodesk...

Oops, correction, here are three of them since that's all I'm allowed to attach so we'll call this part one...

Gary J. Orr
aka (past user names):
Message 7 of 15
GaryOrrMBI

Logs part two

Gary J. Orr
aka (past user names):
Message 8 of 15
GaryOrrMBI

This is still an issue.

As mentioned in a previous post I managed to catch an unpacked version of the installer package.

I copied this folder structure to a local directory on one of the machines and ran the installers individually.

RVTSP1.msp ran successfully.

RCAO.msi ran successfully.

Results Explorer Manager.msi failed (see attached Log file).

REX Framework.msi failed (see attached log file).

REX Revit.msi failed (see attached log file).

RevitUnitSchemas.msi ran successfully.

The ones that failed may have been looking for the original install package to uninstall the current version, but I'm not exactly sure about that.

-G

Gary J. Orr
aka (past user names):
Message 9 of 15
dbutts7

Gary - I took your case on Directly, but have already escalated it to Autodesk, so look for a call from their agent. But since we're getting ready to build our 2022 deployments, I wanted to stay in touch with you here on this one. 

Are you using SCCM for deploying the updates, or just the Desktop app? We've had some issues where there is more than one uninstall thread that causes this failure. I'm not sure if this is specific to updates only, but we caught it with Desktop Connector 14.10.0.1456 update recently. We've been looking into ways to manually uninstall the REX Framework position before running the update. 

We're going to be chasing Autodesk on getting the "fix to the fix" you're talking about, but since I've seen it happen with more than one product I'd like to continue chasing it here as well.

thanks - David B.

David A. Butts

Virtual Design and Construction Manager - Kimley-Horn

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
GaryOrrMBI
in reply to: dbutts7

Nope, no high end network push out here.

We're a user base of about 70 across two offices, mixed bag of Architects, building Engineers (MEP), Civil Engineers, and Surveyors. The deployments would get messy as all getout and we would have about as many as we have employees using design software. So we create individual deployments and stick them on a server where everyone can get the pieces they want. We also do the same for "critical" patches and notify users when there is one they need to install. Everything else is installed directly from the Desktop App by the users as they want/need them.

In my testing I have tried multiple installation methods (Desktop app, downloading the installer, etc) using several different user rights (power user with Admin auth for the installer, local machine admin user,  and network admin user).

The only success that I have had is as noted previously: making a copy of the unpacked package and installing the individual components manually. the successes and failures noted previously are common regardless of computer or user rights.

-G

Gary J. Orr
aka (past user names):
Message 11 of 15
GaryOrrMBI

After running into a problem with another, very simple, installer that simply overwrote a couple of files with newer ones, I believe we have tracked this issue down. We now have several successful installations of the service pack without failures.

The failures were happening (or so I now believe) on a small set of computers in which we had installed Revit 2022 prior to a policy change within our environment. IE: they were installed while the users had local Admin rights to their computers (or were installed under a different user that had local Admin rights). The service packs were being installed after those rights had been reduced to Power Users on the local machines. The installers for the service pack were being granted admin rights from the desktop at run time, but that was causing conflict within the system and somehow preventing access to the uninstaller that the new installer needed to run (even when the SP was being run under a different user with local Admin rights strangely enough).

If you haven't heard back in the next couple of weeks then we have actually found our specific fix, good luck to the rest of you and best of luck.

-Gary

Gary J. Orr
aka (past user names):
Message 12 of 15
dbutts7

Awesome - we were having a similar issue with Desktop Connector, where a newer version was installed than the one were supporting. We've been incorporating uninstall scripts where we can but as you said it can get messy - in some cases, the uninstall leaves files and keys behind that stop another installation. I'll check back in later to see if you have any more details - thanks for the update!

David A. Butts

Virtual Design and Construction Manager - Kimley-Horn

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

EESignature

Message 13 of 15

Revit 2022 hotfix download file

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: VISHNUKDINESH94

@VISHNUKDINESH94 

what about it?

Message 15 of 15
pendean
in reply to: VISHNUKDINESH94

@VISHNUKDINESH94 wrote:

Revit 2022 hotfix download file

If you cannot get it from here, you're not authorized to do so with your type of license (or employer-allowed privileges)

https://manage.autodesk.com/products/RVT?version=2022&platform=WIN64&language=EINT 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report