Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2021 Hotfix error, '20 & '22 working

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
brian.leeson
670 Views, 4 Replies

Revit 2021 Hotfix error, '20 & '22 working

I'm trying to prepare the Revit 2021 hotfix (21.1.1.6, brings the program itself up to 21.1.60.25). I am testing it with the System account (via PSexec) to make sure we can push it to users via Intune. Every time I run the hotfix, it processes for one minute then exits. This is the same whether I am using /quiet or /install or both or neither.

I am able to run the file and install this hotfix manually. But something about running it as System is tripping it up. I've done tests with cleanly removing all Autodesk products and confirmed this acts the same way whether I am trying to apply it to Revit 2021 base version or 2021 with hotfix 5 applied to it. We did also make a dummy Intune app to test and make sure the behavior matched what PSexec showed us.

I've attached the logfile from the install. Its not too long, only covers 2 seconds worth of attempt. It looks like it confirms Revit is installed (version 21.1.50.27 in that attempt, which is correct), confirms the new hotfix is not present yet, confirms add-ins, sets the restore point, and briefly attempts to run. All results & error codes from that point are "0x0" which does not give much to work with.

The frustrating part is I just did this with ease for Revit 2020 (Hotfix 7) and 2022 (Hotfix 2). 2022 did change the preferred switch (-q instead of /quiet), but that was the only obstacle. The closest results I found in searching through forum posts were errors with Revit 2017 & 2019 updates (2017 post & 2019 post). Both were due to version detection issues caused by other updates. This would seem unlikely given that I can complete a manual install attempt, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it is something similar.

Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
brian.leeson
in reply to: brian.leeson

As a quick follow-up, a few things we have crossed off since:

• The logfile listed a few add-ins it checks for, removing all of those did not affect the install issue
  • Confirmed all the same behaviors of the Hotfix install failing on a third machine, to be extra certain
  • All versions of C++ Redist listed for Revit 2021 are installed
  • Updating .NET as well as enabling older versions (3.5) did not have an effect
Message 3 of 5
m_latz

Do you have any msi log files from the %temp% folder ?

If you run the update with the system account, the %temp% folder is in C:\Windows\Temp.

regards

Markus

Message 4 of 5
brian.leeson
in reply to: m_latz

It looks like the /log switch determines if it goes to %temp% or to a specified location, but they are they same output. I've attached a log we did this morning and let go to %temp%. It looks like a close mirror to the previous log.

We might have had a breakthrough, but not sure how to interpret this info. If we trigger the hotfix with /uninstall first, it does run through the process for a moment. Then when we try /install again (/quiet or without), it works. Current guess is something is installed that hotfix 6 thinks is its own / is a conflict. Uninstall removes whatever that is and then clears the way for install to complete.

We will do further testing and try to determine if this will cause issues. We may install it with a batch that runs /uninstall, waits, then runs /install. If anyone requests it, I can provide logs from the remove or the install.

Message 5 of 5
brian.leeson

Tests have succeeded. The closest we could find was it was some aspect of the Cloud Model part causing the conflict in the install, but cannot say for certain.

Running uninstall before install has worked for users, so accepting that as solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report