Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about student license.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1046 Views, 4 Replies

Question about student license.

Hi,

So I and my friends are all following game development courses(2 Udemy including me, and the other studies it on school),

But we all wanna work on a project in our free time as indie devs(Me owning the company) and using all the knowledge we gain from our studies etc we wanna make our own project that we wanna commercially sell of course in the end. And I know you cannot sell your work with the student version, but my idea is to get the licenses in the end when we are done(Via crowdfunding, or even my dad?)  and then sell it. Would this be possible,
The following products we are gonna use: Maya3D, 3DS MAX, Mudbox(This one is a maybe). So if you let me know that would be great as I wanna do this professionally and not use cracked licenses etc. and risk being sued.

Kind regards,

Jake

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rtowne72
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Autodesk offers software for free to users that qualify.  You are correct that it can not be used for profit.  I recommend that you goto the Education community and read the terms and conditions to familiarize what the software will allow you to do.

Link to the Education Community: https://www.autodesk.com/education/home

Good Luck in your learning, Autodesk has many powerful programs to help you along the way.

Thanks,
Rob Towne
Sr. Engineer/CAD Manager | A.L.P.
Inventor/Vault Professional/AutoCAD
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: rtowne72

Hi!

Thanks for the response although I cannot really find the terms of condition.

If you can direct me to it would be great!

Or you can just answer my question: "If we make models with Maya etc with the student edition for our game(As we wanna make a game while learning), and then before we release it buy licenses to make it so we can publish it, without any legal issues." << Would that be possible, simply said buy the licenses afterward before we publish it commerciëly?

Kind regards,

Jake

Message 4 of 5
rtowne72
in reply to: Anonymous

You would not be able to use the same files that were created with the Education version.  The Education software will have information embedded within the files that it was created with Education software, as I recall there used to be a watermark on the output but now it is embedded in the file, so it is not apparent it was created by education software.  So long story short, you would need to recreate the files with software that is not Education Licenses.

Terms and Conditions Link: https://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks

Definition of Education Purpose Link: https://www.autodesk.com/company/educational-purposes

Thanks,
Rob Towne
Sr. Engineer/CAD Manager | A.L.P.
Inventor/Vault Professional/AutoCAD
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: rtowne72

Hi,

Thank you!

Sadly this will not work out for me after all then, it's pretty hard when you're on budget tbh. Mhh then I'll bet we have to use our knowledge gained from Maya3D etc. and use Blender for our first commercial game. As we need to start somewhere.

Kind regards,

Jake

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report