Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased new Laptop - Install Advice

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Adrian.Mangan
237 Views, 2 Replies

Purchased new Laptop - Install Advice

Hi All,

Please help if you can as I am travelling abroad tomorrow with this laptop. So I have had issues with Advance Steel previously not allowing me to use the spiral stair macro, I have purchased a new Dell laptop and have installed AS2020 on it but with none of my customization, now I could not migrate settings as I obviously have not had a previous version on this laptop. So I do clone my AS from desktop to my laptop (previously) but I am concerned if I now do this that the spiral stair macro will not work. Any advice how I should proceed? should i just copy over my prototypes and BOMs and maybe create my drawing styles again (need the practice, but don't have time) as they are a little sloppy from couple of years ago.

Thoughts on how I should go about this would be much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Drawtech
in reply to: Adrian.Mangan

This is what I do to set up my laptop exactly as my desktop:

(make sure you do not skip the steps of backing up your registry keys!)

Install same versions and Service Packs on each machine.
Run AS at least once.

1. Exit out of AS20xx.

2. Make a copy of the following folders in a location accessible by all user accounts:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Advance
    C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Advance Steel 20xx

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Advance Steel 20xx
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Advance Steel 20xx

3. Export a copy of the AS registry keys:

a. Hit WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, enter REGEDIT and click OK.
Find the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\Rxx.x\ACAD-xxxx:40x

This path is unique for each version of AdvanceSteel. You can see which 'ACAD-xxxx' refers to by selecting it and   then looking at the keys on the right side of the Registry Editor. One of the keys will show the install path to the AdvanceSteel it applies to. The '40x' number signifies the language version.

b. Right-click the above registry folder and choose Export.

c. Enter a file name of your choice, choose a location to save the file, and then click Save.

d. Close the Registry Editor.

4. Open the .reg file in Notepad and do a find/replace for the user account name to make sure the destination user name will be used where needed.

5. Log in to the target machine and/or user account.

6. Back up original folders as above in case they need to be restored.

7. Run Regedit and backup the registry keys as above in case they need to be restored.

8. Copy over the folders from source machine to their respective new locations.

9. Double-click the .reg files from source machine to apply it to the registry. The .reg file can be deleted after use unless you wish to use it again.

Dave Gronow
Drawtech Services Ltd
Message 3 of 3
Adrian.Mangan
in reply to: Drawtech

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the detailed response, much appreciated you would take the time to go into such detail, i hope i can do you some justice and not mess it up, will print this out and bring files with me and hopefully get it sorted on my trip. Again thank u and have a Happy Christmas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report