Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem install revit 2016 to windows 10

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
643 Views, 11 Replies

Problem install revit 2016 to windows 10

I am having problems installing autodesk revit 2016 onto my HP windows 10 laptop, I have attached the installation log file, any help would be greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

MESSAGE 20 OF 29

No, Revit 2016 isn't compatible with windows 10.

Please see System requirements for Autodesk Revit 2016 products

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/is-revit-2016-incompatible-with-windows-10/t...

Minimum: Entry-Level Configuration
Operating System ¹ Microsoft® Windows® 7 SP1 64-bit:
Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium

Microsoft® Windows® 8 64-bit:
Windows 8 Enterprise, Pro, or Windows 8

Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 64-bit:
Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Pro, or Windows 8.1

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
brettgatti

Even though it's not officially supported, you should still be able to get 2016 to install on Windows 10 (we have it installed and running on many Win 10 systems).

Based on your log file, it looks like the install is tripping over Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable (x64).  You might want to try uninstalling any versions of this that are on your computer and then rerunning the installer.

Message 4 of 12
mdavis22569
in reply to: brettgatti

why push the limits ....

Revit corrupts models easily enough on it's own ....  to then add in an OS that isn't supported with workarounds.   Kind of defeats the purpose of system requirements.  Then when they start having issues it's ADSK's  software at fault. Not the workarounds ....

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
leowarren34

Just a heads up that Revit 2019 needs Windows 10 Pro...

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 6 of 12
mdavis22569
in reply to: leowarren34

@leowarren34 wrote:

Just a heads up that Revit 2019 needs Windows 10 Pro...

or  Windows 7 

or Windows 8 

LOL 

Revit 2019

Minimum: Entry-Level Configuration
Operating System ¹ Microsoft® Windows® 7 SP1 64-bit:
Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit:
Enterprise, Pro, or Windows 8.1

Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit (version 1607 or higher):
Enterprise, or Pro

Home can be used if you don't want a domain ..but I wouldn't recommend it ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
leowarren34
in reply to: mdavis22569

Found the post that I thought it was from and it was an error a couple of months ago, threw out 'unsupported operating system', must have been fixed.

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 8 of 12
brettgatti

To my knowledge, we've never had any problems that can be traced back to using Revit 2016 on Windows 10.  When working in a mixed environment (OS and Revit versions) you sometimes have to work past recommended requirements that may or may not be problematic. 

If we had experienced problems of any sort, I would not have suggested that the install should be able to work with that OS and internally we probably would have abandoned running 2016 on it.  I based my response on my own experiences with this scenario.

Message 9 of 12
mdavis22569

I'm saying why risk it ...

There are enough issue with corruption to just add to the list of possible causes.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
brettgatti

I appreciate the words of caution and can't argue with Autodesk's own recommendations.  But I guess that since it's been working without a hitch since Windows 10 and Revit 2016 crossed paths (in my experience), I don't consider it to be that much of a risk.  But, if I had ever run into any issues or corruption related to this - I'm sure that I'd have a much different opinion.

And for what it's worth, the ability for many to use 2016 with the Autodesk licensing model (for those who choose to move to 2020) will be coming to an end before too long.

Message 11 of 12
mdavis22569

I do 3rd party support of Autodesk daily and for my own customers ....and see A LOT of crazy things.

Few things I've learned .... Use the system requirements recommended .... use the certified cards and drivers (latest and greatest don't always play nice with older software on Windows 10) 

However I will end it saying ... goal is to provide best support. If I were to give a "workaround" to what is required and someone lost their days' work or entire project ... who's to blame. 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I have tried uninstalling any version of Microsoft visual C++ 2008 and rerunning the installer but it still won’t install, any recommendations on where to go from here ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report