Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 and 2020 won't install

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1763 Views, 9 Replies

Maya 2018 and 2020 won't install

Last year I successfully installed Maya 2018 for student and everything went alright.

This year (after not using the program for 10 months), I decided to update it to Maya 2020. But after trying many times to install it (the installer says it can't install Arnold and Maya Essentials), I gave up and tried to use my old program. Unfortunately, it somehow broke and everything was zoomed in (the menus for ex, leaving a 4x4cm canvas to work with), and I was unable to solve this problem (I guess it's a scaling issues). So, I uninstalled everything related to Autodesk and tried to reinstall it from scratch. Now, neither of them work (Maya 2018 gives a 1619 error, Maya 2020 has the same problem as before).

The only thing that works is Autodesk Desktop App, but far from perfect.

1. Every time I start the computer, the process AutodeskDesktopApp.exe starts too, and multiplies itself until it reaches 200 tasks (or even more). 

2. When I open the App, the text from different Windows apps disappears totally or partially (ex. Task Manager, Windows Explorer, Desktop) and I have to restart the PC.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ya me to run with the same problem...

I updated my Maya 2020 and when I opened there was no Arnold renderer...

So, I tried to reinstall due to various problems...

Then, at last the installer says MAYA ESSENTIALS FAILED TO INSTALLED. there was no specific reason for that. In some other Microsoft websites, it says Maya 2020 latest updates don't support windows 10.

Please Help

@Anonymous 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

You have to modify the installation XML files. It worked for me (after 2 weeks of struggling) 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Oh, I see... If u don't mind... can u guide me on how to do it...

@Anonymous 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I will try to guide u.

First, uninstall everything related to Autodesk.

1. From Control Panel, unistall all programs named Microsoft Visual C++.

2. Find Microsoft Visual 2008 SP1 on Microsoft Website and download it.

3. Run the downloaded executable (sometimes it doesn't install, but try again).

4. Download Maya as a folder, not through the installer (option Browser Download).

5. Run the executable.

6. Navigate to C:\Autodesk\Autodesk_Maya_2020_ML_Windows10_64bit_dlm.

7. Modify the following files with the attached ones: 3rdParty/MtoA/pkg.mtoa.xml ; x64/Maya/pkg.maya.xml ; x86/Licensing/pkg.licensing.xml

8. For Maya 2020: From 3rdParty folder, access both x64 and x86 folders and run all the installers (without 2008SP1 from x64 folder)

9. Run x86/Licensing/AdskLicensing-Installer.exe ; x86/AGS/AutodeskGenuineService.msi

10. Temporary disable the antivirus (for me, Bitdefender considered a file to be infected).

11. For Maya 2020: Go to folder ODIS and run AdODIS-installer.exe

12. For Maya 2020: Go to folder x64/AdSSO and run AdSSO.msi

13. For Maya 2020: Run Setup.exe

14. For Maya 2020: Don't install Substance, Arnold and Bifrost.

15. After installation is complete, you can tun Setup.exe again to install the extensions (if they dont install, u can find Arnold in 3rdParty/MtoA, Bifrost and Substance in x64 folder and u can run them independently).

16. Don't try to install the updates, they don't work.

Note1: I don't remember if these are all steps I did in order to make it work. You can run all the installers multiple times in case of errors (I wrote most of them in the steps) separately in case something doesn't work. You can also try x64/Maya/Maya.msi in case u still have troubles.

Note2: The most important thing of the entire process is to install VCRedist separately, an to modify all XML files that have them as dependencies.

Note3: I can't guarantee all the names are 100% correct. There could be some mistakes, but u can find them.

For Maya 2018, it works the same, but without steps5,6,7,8,9,10. You just have to eliminate from the XML (even tho I think those weren't XML, but they all work the same)  files all dependencies on VCRedist (Microsoft Visual C++).

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Thank you so much for ur kind help 🙂

I will do as you say...

Thank you once again

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hope it works! Can u update me, cuz I'm pretty curious about ur progress :)) ?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

@Anonymous 

sorry to disappoint you... but I encountered many problems...

1. vcredist_IA64 didn't install.

2. Maya licensing didn't open... It was just blank.

3. AdODIS installer says "the specified file is not writable by current user".

4. setup says "Installation error".

Thank you so much for your effort. Maybe this procedure helpful to someone else. 🙂

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

1. I don't thing u should run vcredist_IA64. I think it's called vcredist_x64.exe for x64 Folder and vcredist_x86.exe for x86 Folder.

Remember that u have to download from Microsoft website VcRedist x64 2008SP1. The rest of them can be used from the Autodesk folder.

2. Maya Licensing can be found in x86/Licensing and should contain 2 files.

3. Maybe u are not admin? Or u are not allowed to execute it? Try to check ODIS folder permissions and the installer permissions. I don't see any other problem, since u didn’t modify anything from that folder. 

4. I know it happens. But u can rerun it many times, maybe u are lucky. Also, all the components have to be correctly installed.

Try and post the LOG files, maybe we can find the problem. 

Also, u have a Windows 64bit PC, right?

Message 10 of 10
azmi.ayvaz

Thanks

Problems solved:  maya 2020.1  install failed

maya 2020.1 please exit and restart the install

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report