Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing an older version of AutoCAD - need activation code????

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
15731 Views, 23 Replies

Installing an older version of AutoCAD - need activation code????

I have used AutoCAD 2004 since I purchased it in 2004.  I have gone through several computers over the years but have never had an issue reinstalling with my serial number and CD key.  My old Dell recently died and I purchased a new one; I have tried to register my version of AutoCAD like I have in the past after installing, but it is not accepting my information - it is now requesting an activation code.  I contacted the "help desk" regarding this and they say my version is invalid because it was upgraded to AutoCAD 2006 in 2005 and never registered, so now is expired.  (a) I never upgraded to 2006, I still have the original 2004 on my computer and on my CD, and (b) if this is the case, how in the world have I been able to install this product at least 4 times over the past 14 years???  I am a residential interior designer and cannot afford a new version of AutoCAD, nor do I need one for my application; is there any way to get my 2004 version working again?  Please do not tell me to contact the "help desk," they are adamant my version is 2006!

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

We can't help you, we are users just like you. Only Autodesk can help you, especially since they say the license you have was upgraded.

• Here are the various Autodesk support offerings. You may need to be logged into your Autodesk Account in order to see an accurate list of the options available to you.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

I understand this is a user-driven forum.  I was looking to see if anyone else had been in the same situation with an older product and found a solution OTHER than the "help desk" and written protocol - transferring certain files from my old computer, etc.  I have no idea what to even try.  The "help desk" is refusing to go any further on my case since they are able to go by only what they have on file - which I believe to be incorrect.

Message 4 of 24
rkmcswain

It's possible that someone else took your S/N and upgraded the software at some point in time.  So if it was upgraded and never registered, you should be able to install and use the S/N for the 2006 version (Did Autodesk give this to you?) and activate it. Unless you have to use 2004 for file or 3rd party app compatibility reasons?  (Your statement about it "expired" is bogus - perpetual licenses do not "expire" - Either you were not speaking with Autodesk, or the person you were speaking to was misinformed)

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous

According to the "help desk," the S/N for both products is the same.  I have tried registering the product according to the online support methods, but the pop up windows that they show are not the same for 2004.  On my version, the first screen shows an option to register with or without an authorization code (the first option, without, allows you to obtain the code during the process).  If I go that route (no code), it shows I am registering AutoCAD 2004 with my S/N listed - there is no option to change this.  I have never seen 2006 at any time.  It then has me enter and confirm my registering information and select a registration method (via internet or offline).  If I choose internet, I get an error message (invalid procedure call or argument).  If I choose offline, it says that the information was saved in an .xml file. I am to attach the file to the email listed (rt.xml.us@autodesk.com) and I will receive an automated response.  I have done that as well, with no results.  I assuming that over the past few years, Autodesk has revised their emails and/or website so that these links are no longer valid. I last installed this version of AutoCAD in 2011 when I purchase my last computer; there were zero issues then.

Message 6 of 24
pendean

>>>...According to the "help desk," the S/N for both products is the same...<<<
That's bogus info. They are separate serial numbers for 2004 and 2006.

Looks like the Autodesk servers had a hiccup: you'll need to hang around until a staffer from Autodesk can jump in to help.
Message 7 of 24
natasha.l

Hello @wookie_mouse

Sorry, for the misunderstanding but your AutoCAD 2004 was upgraded to AutoCAD 2006, when this upgrade was done you should have moved to the 2006 version & stopped using the 2004 version. 

The bigger issue is that Autodesk provides support for the current version & three versions back. So we do not keep old legacy downloads that far back in our system. The AutoCAD 2006 serial number was provided to you by the agent but Autodesk does not have a download of AutoCAD 2006. 

Please “Accept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 8 of 24
rkmcswain
in reply to: natasha.l

natashal84 wrote:

The bigger issue is that Autodesk provides support for the current version & three versions back. So we do not keep old legacy downloads in our system. The AutoCAD 2006 serial number was provided to you by the agent but Autodesk does not have a download of AutoCAD 2006. 

C'mon now. We know Autodesk has them, they just choose to not make them available as a business decision to drive legacy users to the current version.

Is it legal for someone who does have the 2006 media to provide a copy to someone such as @Anonymous, so that he/she could continue to use the perpetual license they own?

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

Update - all is good! I did have an activation code, it was on a sticky note that fell out of the case - I found it loose in my CD storage drawer. The code is now written in black Sharpie on the case itself. It registered without a problem. It makes me nervous tho that if something like this were to happen again, I'm essentially screwed. As long as the product is working and being manufactured by the same company, it should be supported! Thank you all for your help on this!

Message 10 of 24
Anonymous

I have just encountered the same issue. I have used my Autocad 2004 since I bought it and have had no issues installing it on several of my computers over the years, except now. I don't want support, I just want to use the program on my new system

Message 11 of 24
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous 

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

When you say new system, do you mean Windows 10?

Anyhow as of Aug 31 2019, activation of product version 2010 or earlier are unable to be activated anymore.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 12 of 24
rkmcswain

Nick, Autodesk made a business decision to stop activating older (2010 and earlier) versions., as of 31 AUG 2019. So you can use it until it requires activation, move to a competitive product, or start a new rental for the current version of the Autodesk product.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

There is no cost to Autodesk to activate the program on a new computer, so please don't insult my intelligence by referring to this action as a "business decision". Call it what it is: a wholesale elimination of an entire segment of your user population, of whom very few would move to a newer version of Autocad.  Your revocation of the original "perpetual" license was an abrogation of trust that stains the very name of your company.  Autodesk's greed and focus on ever-increasing market share and profitability leaves thousands of loyal users with a dead-end program, and a bad taste in their mouths. I have been proud to tell my colleagues that I have used Autocad since its very first version, until today. Your company may have momentarily monopolized the cad industry, but with policy decisions like this, it tarnishes the reputations of everyone there who makes them.

Message 14 of 24
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous 

This is a user base support forum.   It is not our company or our decision.  We as users can only pass along to others users what we know.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 15 of 24
rkmcswain

@nchirikosUBVTY wrote:

There is no cost to Autodesk to activate the program on a new computer, so please don't insult my intelligence by referring to this action as a "business decision".

Call it what it is: a wholesale elimination of an entire segment of your user population, of whom very few would move to a newer version of Autocad.

(A) There is a cost. Autodesk does not gain any revenue from your continued use of a perpetual license

(B) I'm just an end user like you, I'm not "insulting your intelligence". These forums belong to Autodesk and they can and will censor/remove content that is not in line with their overall message, so I was simply relaying the message that Autodesk themselves are saying. If you want to hear from Autodesk employees, there is plenty here:

Perpetual License Changes

Moving to Subscription

Previous Version Support

(C) The CEO of Autodesk said it best > "If you don't see value in subscription, you should probably find another software solution"     Source

@Anonymous 

Message 16 of 24
bandonsurveyor

So Autocad doesn't work on my computer anymore after 10 years.  Congratulations I'm moving to Carllson and I  have 30+ years of business ahead of me and not one cent will go to you f(#$@ nor will I recommend you to anyone.  Once autodesk became a publicly traded company everything went to @#$t 

Message 17 of 24
rkmcswain
in reply to: bandonsurveyor

@bandonsurveyor wrote:

So Autocad doesn't work on my computer anymore after 10 years.  Congratulations I'm moving to Carllson and I  have 30+ years of business ahead of me and not one cent will go to you f(#$@ nor will I recommend you to anyone.

Moving to another software is one of the recommendations from the Autodesk CEO. 

https://twitter.com/upFronteZine/status/930590879412310017

Good luck. Cheers.

Message 18 of 24
bandonsurveyor

****. Harsh.  Imagine if Ford just said. "Any truck older then 15 years we don't make parts for anymore." We don't care that you're still making payments on the vehicle. Tough $%#@. Go buy a donkey.

Clearly this guy is a total rich P.O.S. and doesn't care about the small business person in rural America whose clients don't fly around in private jets and think their million dollar salaries are too small.  Maybe us small guys could afford a subscription if we didn't have to pay for this idiots' yacht.  

Dear AutoCAD, you can't charge the average American who is making $15-$45 an hour, $200/hr for surveying and engineering services and expect to stay in business in rural America. 

Sincerely,

They guy who is "finding another software solution" (And by the way, I know municipalities who are now using Carllson instead of Autocad because they are also tired to this #$@*)

Message 19 of 24
pendean

>>>..."Any truck older then 15 years we don't make parts for anymore." ...,<<<
They most likely do, that's why there is a booming after-market parts industry.

Just sayin'.
Message 20 of 24
rkmcswain

@bandonsurveyor wrote:

Dear AutoCAD, you can't charge the average American who is making $15-$45 an hour, $200/hr for surveying and engineering services and expect to stay in business in rural America. 

I think they know and understand that. They are not really interested in your (not YOU personally, of course...) $2,000 every 3 years. They want the big corporations with $$$ to spare and the ability to pass on those costs to their customers. 

If you had a product to sell, wouldn't you rather sell a million of them to 20 clients (50,000 units per client), than 10 each to 100,000 clients? I don't think it's personal, it's just they they are large and successful enough that they can choose their clients now (for lack of a better term).

There are less expensive and still perpetual licensed alternatives out there. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report