Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imaging - Silent network deployment hangs at completion, Inventor 2022, AutoCAD 2023, others

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dfulle14
551 Views, 8 Replies

Imaging - Silent network deployment hangs at completion, Inventor 2022, AutoCAD 2023, others

In past years, we had no problem doing silent network deployments during computer imaging. Starting with Inventor, Revit, and Navisworks 2022, and now AutoCAD 2023, the deployment hangs at completion, the log simply repeating this line (this is AutoCAD 2023, the other apps have the exact same issue) every 30 seconds: 

2023-06-15T15:17:04.012 [DDA: 2196, single] [Installer INFO] [ Autodesk::DDA::SdkAgent::Listen::<lambda_8f7c2cafda285d6f3324fbe86a24bae4>::operator () ] [IPC] ChannelWin::Listen: WaitForSingleObject timeout. error_code: 997, pipe_name: \\.\pipe\adsk_dda_sdk

The install completed, I can run AutoCAD without problems. The installer just never returns an exit code, as it's waiting for some response from somewhere that never comes. The same command line can be used for testing a manual install, it's only during a deployment that it hangs.

It's not an issue with SYSTEM account and access, it has no problem doing the install. It's not an issue with Internet Options and Sites/Security Zones, the server and it's UNC paths are properly configured (which we added earlier in the process as the silent install was hanging waiting for confirmation that we trust the network location). 

When we were working with Autodesk Support last year, they wouldn't say more than there was a process waiting. Couldn't or refused to let us know which process, or what it was waiting for. So, basically zero help.

There are some very kludgy workarounds, that require maintaining some Autodesk installs in one manner and others in the standard/typical manner. What I'd like is for there to be an actual solution that allows all of the applications to install silently during network imaging, which is what they did for several years.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
henkstubbe
in reply to: dfulle14

Are you doing an offline installation, or does it download files from the internet? If it is downloading the odis installer from the internet, it is taking the newest version, 1.40.0.24, which seems b0rked. I had a similar problem, going back to a previous version fixed this issue.
I deploy the odis installer first, then deploy something like acad like this:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AdODIS\V1\Installer.exe" --install_mode install --ui_mode basic --offline_mode --manifest "%ScriptPath%\files\setup.xml" --install_source "%ScriptPath%\files\"

%ScriptPath% is something my deployment software uses as a placeholder for the location of the files.

Message 3 of 9
Simon_Weel

I've seen that too - install has finished but the installer lingers on forever. I just kill it and as the applications run fine, I guess it's probably an ODIS 'feature' 😞 

Message 4 of 9
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: Simon_Weel

Something like this where the installer is failing, I would definitely open a support ticket so they can be aware of the issue.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
henkstubbe
in reply to: Ed.Jobe

I've opened a topic here about the borked installer here, but they don't seem to care. Of course this didn't come as a surprise to me.

Message 6 of 9
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: henkstubbe

Depending on your subscription level, they have up to 48 hrs to respond. I don't expect them to have a fix either. But it needs to be reported so that they can fix it.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Simon_Weel

There are numerous problems with ODIS and I think Autodesk is well aware of that. If you make a service request, you'll be answered by a first-line responder, suggesting to post it as 'idea'. So, yeah.....

Message 8 of 9
dfulle14
in reply to: henkstubbe

It's an offline install, build the deployment through the Custom Install section of the Account Portal, run the little exe it generates to download all the files to the network deployment location specified. Then run the command line install provided in the batch file that gets created (with --offline_mode flag). I don't use the --manifest or --Install_Source flags, though. Is --manifest just because you're not using the default location / Collection.xml value?

It is using installer version 1.40.0.24. What's odd is that this year the Inventor 2023 install works (2022 is where the original problem occurred), but AutoCAD 2023 doesn't (using the same installer version 1.04.0.24), while AutoCAD 2022 did. Revit 2023 hangs like Revit 2022 did last year, I haven't had a chance to test the rest yet.

Navisworks 2022 and Revit 2022 would complete and exit if I mapped a drive to the network folder rather than use the UNC path (which isn't optimal, but such is life). Inventor 2022 wouldn't even handle a mapped drive, I had to move the entire install source to the deployment server and then use %dp0 (the equivalent to your &ScriptPath%), which I found from a thread here last year.

Is there a way to force using a different version of the ODIS installer?

It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a consistent install method across all the applications, since we had that pre-ODIS and it worked, and now they've taken it away without any real indication they care to fix it. Or in last year's case, actively worked against me fixing it by refusing to tell me which process specifically was hanging (I figured I could check for it running after the install completed or had been running ~30+ minutes I could just script killing it and faking an exit code).

Message 9 of 9
dfulle14
in reply to: Ed.Jobe

Yeah, I did that last year and not only didn't get a solution, but even though they agreed a process was blocked/hanging they refused to tell me which process so I couldn't even investigate that deeper. Worse still, the workaround I put together was something they told me wouldn't work when I asked about it.

I get that they need to know how many customers are impacted by a bug to determine what gets attention, but it's hard to muster the motivation to deal with the back and forth on that when the customer consensus is "Even submitting support tickets doesn't get the same helpful info as posting on forums".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report