Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best laptop for Autocad 2016

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
27212 Views, 7 Replies

Best laptop for Autocad 2016

Hi,

I need your help. I just bought a new computer for my studies in Interior Design. I need a strong laptop to make sure it supports Autocad, Sketchup, Photoshop and all the other big softwares.

After a lot of researches, I decided to buy Y50 UHD Lenovo 512 SSD that I received last week. (59440667)

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/lenovo/y-series/y50-uhd

I installed Autocad 2016 on it. There are some strange presentation of elements with some buttons, and tool bar. There are really small that I can't really see it. You can see it on the printscreen. Is there something we can do to fix it? I try to change the resolution and everything was looking smalller. It didn't work.

After many exchanges with Autodesk customer service, they mentionned to me that me Graphic card and my hardward are not on your list and certified.

What is the impact of this?

Also, is there a way to do something with my actual laptop or I should change it? At this point, it is possible to change it with Thinkpad W541 or W550s.

If I change it, would I have the same problem? Would it be a better solution since it is on your list of recommend laptop?

I want to make sure this laptop respond to my need for the 4 years of my studies. What would you recommend?

Thank you so much for your help,

Vero

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lynn_zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous Welcome to Autodesk Community!

Thank you for choosing Autodesk product. To start with, I suggest you find AutoCAD Recommended Hardware via AutoCAD Hardware Advisor which might be helpful.

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: lynn_zhang

Ok I can have a look. But first of all, is my computer can work for my need?

Can I fix the problem I have with my actual computer? Is there a way to see everything on Autocad properly?

If I change it, I will have to spend over $1000 more. I want to see first if we can make it works.

Thank you,

Vero

Message 4 of 8
pendean

No one at Autodesk is going to approve any laptop of PC you list, and they are not going to tell you any more than what you see on that website they sent you to go see.

And as you can tell, no one read your message in detail.

Back to your actual problem:
With AutoCAD, you cannot use a high-res UHD monitor/display: that's why all the icons look small. AutoCAd is not designed to any monitor higher that 2k resolution. There is no fix except to either run your monitor at no higher than HD (1920x1080) or imploy this trick for all the applications that fail like AutoCAD in your high res display:
http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

THERE IS NO OTHER FIX.

Good luck. Enjoy your otherwise good laptop for school.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean,

You clearly know your stuff.  What laptop, do you personally recommend for auto cad 2016 and revit?

Many thanks!

Caroline

Message 6 of 8
Darin.Green

You can find laptops for Revit performance here, but the price tags are too high for me... That being said, just review the specs and customize a Dell Precision to closely mimic theirs.

Here's a laptop for you from Dell

I have the same one and it's great.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Hi!
If you're having difficulty or trouble with a under-performing laptop, let me know. I do IT and just started using Autodesk for engineers. I'd be happy to look at your laptop, remotely of course, unless your in NY, and see if we can tweak your computer to run more efficiently. Thanks, Paul.
Message 8 of 8
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

If this is a free service then its fine to communicate that here..  If its a paid service then you are not allowed to promote your services here.  Its against the rules...

In addition Autodesk is a company not a software..  Do you mean AutoCAD For Engineers?  Smiley Very Happy

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report