Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Vegetation Content

More Vegetation Content

One of the challenges for me with InfraWorks has been the limited vegetation content.  It seems to only have a huge variety of deciduous trees and only a couple of conifer trees.  I understand it is possible to add content from other sources, but there is an unballanced selection of vegetation and a very limited selection of people that comes with InfraWorks.

My idea is to add more vegetation, people, and just more content in general to the out of the box content, so for quick modeling we have them quickly available vs. the effort involved in bringing in content from other sources.

9 Comments
jgarcia121
Enthusiast

Here is a list that i would start with as basic samples:

Trees:

1. Evergreen Trees (Oaks)
  2. Deciduous Trees  (Maples)
  3. Conifer Trees (Pines, Junipers)
  4. Flowering Trees (Crape Myrtles, Bougainvillea)

Palms:

1. Coconut Palms
  2. Formal Palms (Royals, Dates, etc.)
  3. Fan Palms (Sabal Palms, Chinese Fan palms, etc.)
jmayo-EE
Mentor

More flowering shrubs & trees please

more hedges and hedge rows please

coverage areas with flower and/or veg ground cover please

more of everything please or perhaps a tree that is customizable...

KPerison
Collaborator

I concur. A larger selection of tree species are required.

While we are on the subject of trees and making a more robust library, I'd like to highlight an Idea I had posted a while back but have heard of no progress.  Include a 2D equivalent for all the vegetation options. Allow a toggle to convert any/all 2D trees to 3D only when you require it for presentation purposes.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/infraworks-ideas/use-of-2d-objects-for-trees-to-reduce-model-size/idi...

The original video may be difficult to locate from the above post. Here is the direct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZluPWNDUe8

Do you really need a 2000+ polygon representation of every tree and leaf in your model when a 2d version would suit just fine? If "Concept" and "speed" are your primary objective then the above Idea would certainly achieve this. Not to mention solve your bloated model size.

lippola
Alumni

Hey Kelly,

thx for your input. Exactly for this purpose we did some refinements on vegetation objects and brought in "adoptive trees". These trees have LOD and will support IW in order to perform better when handling vegetation objects.

On the other hand we do also have the concept of "simplified trees". This changes the display settings for the object and simplifies them. For example in the engineering view, the realistic tree view is turned off per default. This way we do have a simplified version of a tree for performance reasons without loosing the impression of the vegetation in the scene. Please have a look here: https://infraworksplus.wordpress.com/2017/05/02/adaptive-trees-and-simplified-trees/ 

Hopefully this helps you. If not, we would like to hear your thoughts around your request and why this is not solving your problem. 

Andreas

Owackenreuther
Advocate

Hello Autodesk,

The vegetation content in IW is lacking a lot of basic tree types, grass, etc. I recommend increasing the number of vegetation models similar to UE Twinmotion software. I think that these enhancements are vital. I would like to see several more adaptive tree types, adaptive grass/shrubs, seasonal vegetation (sping/fall colors, winter with snow), etc. Please feel free to reach out if you want more details on this.

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk

@ricksr @Owackenreuther @KPerison @jmayo-EE Have you guys tried new vegetation content that was already added in the IW sandbox version? This is also slated to be part of the upcoming production release. Please check it out and let us know your feedback.

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Owackenreuther
Advocate

@ramesh_sridharan How do we access the sandbox version?

Could you share some screenshots or a video of the new vegetation content?

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk

@Owackenreuther  Here is the link to signup and get beta versions. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report