Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master proposal sources automatically added to others

Master proposal sources automatically added to others

Since the software is used a lot for conceptual work, it would be very helpful to have the MASTER model/proposal set so that if something like data/GIS/linework, is automatically added to all proposals - or at least be made available via layers (perhaps default turned off in each). I've been working on multiple concepts for a new road and having to add new data to each concept as it becomes available is very time consuming. I realize I could copy/paste to some extent, but it would be nice to have the MASTER proposal work just like Civil 3D's model space, pushed through into viewports.

3 Comments
danny.lewisA9QBW
Advocate

Agree 100%. I would prefer the if the 'master' was an actual master proposal in that it included EVERYTHING. That way I can do global changes that effect ALL proposals and then go into the proposals themselves to make the changes specific to that proposal.

Either that; or have some way to push the change to all proposals... but I can see that button either being to dangerous to have (oops... i distributed a change by accident) or too much of a pain to use (have to select which proposal to send the change to).

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk

@perry @danny.lewisA9QBW , Isnt automatically adding master proposal data source to other proposals equally dangerous as well? Users can have a separate proposal modified and prepped for the need but a simple adding of some data source in master modifies the unknown number of items in other proposal which user is not even aware of until its too late.

danny.lewisA9QBW
Advocate

@ramesh_sridharan I think you could argue (because it's typical practice in other Autodesk software) that making changes to the master WILL propagate to other proposals... and that people would expect that to be the case.

In Inventor (my favorite software of course); the typical setup is that you have a master and sub-views. Changes to the master; like making something blue or invisible WILL propagate to the other views unless you specifically lock the settings in that view. I would presume that a similar system would work for Infraworks where you can Import and Configure all the things in the Master view (including changing road styles) and that the changes would push to the other 'non-Master' views (unless you locked them). 

For users who love it the way it works now... they just need to know to not put things in the MASTER unless they want to see it in every proposal; they'd learn that pretty quickly.

dannylewisA9QBW_0-1639503521422.png

dannylewisA9QBW_1-1639503593689.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report