Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit features "underneath" a terrain overlay

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2410 Views, 11 Replies

Unable to edit features "underneath" a terrain overlay

I am using a terrain overlay to display AutoCAD linework on my Infraworks model. When creating features such as roads, or coverages, I am unable to select them once they are created because it defaults to be below the terrain overlay. How can I change the order of these so I am able to edit roads & coverages within a terrain overlay?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

can you send a screenshot of how it looks like in your InfraWorks.

I am not able to re-create the issue and terrain overlays are only draped on terrain, they are not supposed to be draped on other features such as roads or coverages.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Please see the screenshots attached. The first shows the model I have created. The thin lines shown are the terrain overlay features I have brought in from Civil3D. I am trying to design a roadway to trace over the linework in the terrain overlay. The second screenshot shows what happens when I try to re-select the road to make changes after I have placed it on top of the linework. It automatically selects the terrain overlay instead of selecting the road. I can't seem to find a way to edit anything underneath the terrain overlay even though it was drawn on top.

Message 4 of 12
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous

understood - and you are right. If you have added a terrain overlay it stays on top of other features. When you try to select anything underneath the first object (top) is picked which is the terrain overlay.

You can work around that issue by switching off the terrain overlay in the Model Explorer, then select your road an switch the terrain overlay on again.

Terrain_overlay.png

It sounds like a good product enhancement wish for the InfraWorks Idea Station: forums.autodesk.com/t5/infraworks-360-ideastation/idb-p/129

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 12

Hi @sscarpa7ZBHC  Ground image won't be placed on top of assets. One possible option is to configure images as 'Ground image' instead of terrain overlay. You can have a try and see if that works to you. 

Regards,

Kathy

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Any fix for this yet? I wouldn't call this a wish list fix. This is a serious Flaw that should be addressed asap. 

THX

Message 7 of 12
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous,

there is no change in behavior yet.

Has this been addressed as program enhancement idea on the InfraWorks Idea station? I cannot find anything.

Maybe it's possible to add a shortcut key with left mouse click to select features underneath a 2D overlay?

I have created following idea now, please comment if you want to add something:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/infraworks-ideas/not-possible-to-select-features-underneath-a-2d-overlay/idi-p/8412626

Regards,

Karsten

Karsten Saenger
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the reply. I would suggest similar to CAD where drawing order can be changed. Or simply make xrefs and overlays grabbable only in the model explorer where you can already select object. I'm doing a 180 acre development where seeing proposed legal via CAD 2d overlay is key while also creating the Infraworks model. Maybe there is a better way to do this or should change my workflow?
Many Thanks
Message 9 of 12
mzjensen

Not sure if you've tried this, but you can import linework from CAD by using SDF or SHP files. In CAD, select the lines you want and export with the MAPEXPORT command. Then add the file as a data source in InfraWorks and configure as a coverage area. I usually set the rule style to be whatever color I want the lines to be. If you need multiple different colors, you can either change them individually in InfraWorks or export a separate file from CAD and create a new data source. The benefit of this is that each data source will show up in the Surface Layers window and you can change the draw order.

InfraWorks can't natively handle true 2D lines, so to get them to display you have to add a buffer width in the Table tab (see attached).

Zachri Jensen, PE   |  
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mzjensen

Great idea! Ill give that a shot.

Message 11 of 12
AngelEspinoza2024

It is my belief that if the Terrain Overlay is "Locked" in the Model Explorer palette you should be able to select items below it.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: AngelEspinoza2024

@AngelEspinoza2024 wrote:

It is my belief that if the Terrain Overlay is "Locked" in the Model Explorer palette you should be able to select items below it.

This worked for me!  Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report