Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Align DAE file to Infraworks Model

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
macS5Q3M
573 Views, 16 Replies

Unable to Align DAE file to Infraworks Model

Hi 

I have modeled a simulation in 3DS Max which i have exported to a .DAE file to import to Infraworks.

Battling to align the two.

Can anyone please assist?

Kind regards

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: macS5Q3M

From Max to InfraWorks, you have to give the scale, in the configure box, the meter to feet conversion for the X, Y, and Z. Simply put 3.2808 in all 3. However, if this is just a simple model of an object, use the Interactive Placement option.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

You also have to consider the Global Import Shift settings assigned by Max. I have a few videos on how to use Max in InfraWorks. See below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vbMIR3OELE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YFuqPrIXxg

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 17
macS5Q3M

Hi Todd

Thank you for your response, Sir. I have seen & followed a lot of your videos, much respect from South Africa.

I have accounted for the Import shift (please see attached).

Not sure whether my units are maybe the issue because they are set to Metric (please see attached)? So would the meter to feet conversion factor be necessary?

Kind regards

macS5Q3M_0-1636469602348.pngmacS5Q3M_1-1636469683469.png

macS5Q3M_2-1636469717456.png

Message 5 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

Looks correct on my end. I'm not really sure about the scale either since you're already working in meters. I suggest just trying it to see if it works or not. You can always zero them out again.

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 17
macS5Q3M
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Hi Todd,

I managed to bring the animation in at the right place (which is terrific) my sticking point is NOW, however, is the materials for the vehicles. Despite the ms script the vehicles still lose all their colours.
Message 7 of 17

Hi @macS5Q3M ,

I noticed the coordinate system you use in InfraWorks is "Hartebeesthoek94.Lo29_1". That points to a customized system, what have you changed? Maybe it's due to the change that your coordinates don't match? Maybe it's a change in the Y-direction of the system pointing to North instead of South?

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 8 of 17
macS5Q3M
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Karsten.Saenger 

Thank for taking interest here.

Yes, that was the reason I couldn't line the model up... I have since overcome that issue. 

Now the absence of colours when the animation is imported to Infraworks is the problem, rather annoyingly. lol!

Kind regards

Message 9 of 17
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @macS5Q3M ,

regarding materials for the DAE file, does the information in this article help?
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/SketchUp-Models-in-Infraworks-missing-materials

Regards,

Karsten

Karsten Saenger
Message 10 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

In the Configure dialog box, click on the 3D Model tab and check the box to Invert Transparency.

Todd Rogers
Message 11 of 17
macS5Q3M
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

EUREKA!
Message 12 of 17
macS5Q3M

@ToddRogers-WPM you're a Don, thank you Sir!

Message 13 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

My pleasure. Glad it's working for you!!

Todd Rogers
Message 14 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

@Karsten.Saenger this has only been happening the last couple of releases of InfraWorks. Not sure what changed, but it took me forever to figure out this setting. Just FYI.

Todd Rogers
Message 15 of 17

Hi @ToddRogers-WPM ,

interesting and thanks for sharing.
I haven't used DAE file import for a while, so I didn't notice.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 16 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

Yeah, same here. I have been getting a lot of requests to do live performances of the car animation. I first discovered it when @Matt.Wunch asked me to do a presentation early this year for Autodesk. I was tripping out because I didn't think it was going to work, and I happened to try that setting and BAM! It worked.

Todd Rogers
Message 17 of 17
macS5Q3M
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Insightful, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report