Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Lane Marking

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1506 Views, 13 Replies

Create Lane Marking

Hi every body,

I would like to create a lane marking and I can not find a solution. The lanes are in an Autocad file and are drawn as 2D polyligns and it's not possible to extract contours to import them in Infraworks.

would you please help me to find a way to solve this problem?

This solution does not work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5yGxtoljQ

Thanks,

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ocastaneda
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Haykel2013,

I recorded a screencast showing you one way to quick and dirty bring your markings from AutoCAD into Infraworks. It is uploading right now and as soon as it becomes available I will post it here. This is one way of doing it, and I hope it works for you. 

Let me know whatever the result is, hopefully it will solve your issue, if not we can take a look into other possible solutions. 

If you find this answer helpful please click the ACCEPT solution and/or the KUDOS button... 

Oscar Castaneda

Transportation Designer / P.E.

Infraworks Ambassador

Message 3 of 14
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous

in the video the lane markings are 3D solids in AutoCAD and the exported as FBX. That might cause issues if large coordinates are used.

From my point of view it is easier to export the lane marking polygons as shape file (MAPEXPORT).

In InfraWorks import the shape file:

• Either use them as "coverage" and place the with an slight offset above the ground
  • Or use the shape as "barrier" - this way you can assign a barrier heigth of few centimeters

Regards,

Karsten

Karsten Saenger
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Hi Karsten,

The only solution witch works well is to use the shape as Barrier but it takes too long time as I have different types of marking lanes.In fact, I must difine all the types as 3D models and use the exact spaces between the Barriers...

The easiest way is to import the shape file as polygons but I can not find a solution to create polygons from 2D polyligns in Autocad. The lane markings are about 7km length and I need to extract the contours from 2D polyligns (drawn with different widths).

Can any one help me to extract those contours witch will make my work much more easier.

Thanks fo all your replies.

Message 5 of 14
ocastaneda

Here is the screncast, sorry for the delay as it took forever for Autodesk to authorize it use. It looks you found a solution. Great bud!

If you find this answer helpful please click the ACCEPT solution and/or the KUDOS button... 

Oscar Castaneda

Transportation Designer / P.E.

Infraworks Ambassador

Message 6 of 14
llavayenMG53S
in reply to: ocastaneda

Oscar,

Is there a reason you choose to go the .SHP route instead of the .SDF route?

Message 7 of 14

what about if I want to add markings on the component roads? you cannot import shape as a coverage area in that case

Beka Tchigladze
Road/Highway Technical Designer

AEC Collection/C3D 2025
WIN 11 64 PRO
Predator Helios 18, Intel Core i9 14900HX, 32 GB
NVIDIA RTX 4080, 12 GB
YouTube--->Linkedin
Message 8 of 14

Hi @ocastaneda ,

you can use SDF as well.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 9 of 14

it is top of terrain but not top of the road I cannot see it until erase my component road

Beka Tchigladze

AEC Collection/C3D 2025
WIN 11 64 PRO
NVIDIA RTX 4080, 12 GB
YouTube--->Linkedin
Message 10 of 14

Hi @Beka_Tchigladze ,

for component roads, the workarounds is to use 3D objects directly - I am aware that this is not ideal for longer roads.

Or you use 2D polyline stripes and import them as barriers. Ideally you have a corridor surface to drape the 2D polylines on.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 11 of 14
ocastaneda
in reply to: llavayenMG53S

Just a personal preference. I have worked with shape files for so long that I am used to them. I hope this helps! 

Transportation Engineer P.E.
CONSOR Engineers
Message 12 of 14

You are correct. This is one of the most frustrating things with this program, Infraworks is terrible with some common tools you would expect to have such as pavement markings. Coverage areas as a way to bring data on top of your roads will not work if they are component roads. 

There is a way to do this which is cumbersome and tedious (like many things with Infraworks), Jeff Bartels did a video showing how to accomplish this and is very good, I encourage you to check it out as it works for this particular purpose, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5yGxtoljQ

I hope this helps. 

Transportation Engineer P.E.
CONSOR Engineers
Message 13 of 14

there is much easy way also, if you have all marks in autocad you can export areal image from Global mapper and import overlap image in infraworks. if you have complete model you can do this. but it is not convenient again.

infraworks team must do theirs job better, otherwise it looks like as a kidding garden, because it seems that they are lazy, software need too many many updates and fixes. sorry but it is reality i like autodesk but it is reality.

Beka Tchigladze

AEC Collection/C3D 2025
WIN 11 64 PRO
NVIDIA RTX 4080, 12 GB
YouTube--->Linkedin
Message 14 of 14
andrewofabley

@Anonymous 

Ok, wild idea.

Why not round-trip it via IMX. Export your component road as IMX, then re-import it into a new proposal (with your component road removed). Then you have a surface you can drape your SDF format markings on.

Sure, it's no longer a component road, and you may need to reapply textures to the road surface as draped coverages, but the marking should look really nice.

I've done this before with some decent results.

I also have a nice routine that builds perfect markings based on CAD layer or line styles/type, giving them the appropriate width and colour .etc

If you can post some data, maybe i'll take a look.

Good luck out there...

AEC Collection / Safe FME / ESRI ArcGIS / Unreal Engine
Digital Engineering Lead, Compulsive Problem Solver.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report